• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Laying out images on a roll for use in a book...

Michael Seltzer

Hello,

I purchased some 13" roll paper to use in printing images for a book I am making, and am having problems laying out the images to print along the roll as I want them to. I want the format of the book to be 13"x13" so landscape and portrait photos will both fit well. I have an Epson R2400 and am trying to use Lightroom. I was a little surprised to find that I couldn't simply select roll paper of a certain width in Page Setup, and then specify margins and image spacing and let LR place the images accordingly. It seems to need me to specify a virtual sheet size. However, my only choice is 13"x19", which doesn't allow me to place the photos properly in this case. I need some multiple of 13"x13" (preferably that or 13"x26"). When I try defining a custom paper size, there seems to be no way to get the printer to handle it as roll paper. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you,
Michael

Michael Seltzer

Hello again,

Don't know how much, or if, it matters, but I'm on a Mac using Leopard 10.5.2 and the Epson print drive v6.12 and LR 1.4.1.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I too would like to see an answer. I think meanwhile you might look at various RIP programs which allow escape from the restrictions of image size.

Asher

Diane Fields

Michael, I print with a 3800 so can't help with roll paper--and never used it with my 2200. I would recommend you ask this in a Lightroom forum---though I use LR daily, the roll setup is foreign to me and I'm not sure how many here could be helpful. Try
Adobe Lightroom user to user http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc2cf0a/
Hate to send you to another forum, but LL has a lot of LR users
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showforum=31
http://www.lightroomforums.net/
http://www.image-space.com/Image_Space_Forum/Image_Space_Forum.html

Hope one of these can help.

Diane

Nill Toulme

In Windows you would skin this cat by going to to the printer directly (under Printers & Faxes) and then to Print Preferences, and setting up your custom paper size and source there, instead of in the app's print dialog. If there is a Mac equivalent of that approach you might try it.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In Windows you would skin this cat by going to to the printer directly (under Printers & Faxes) and then to Print Preferences, and setting up your custom paper size and source there, instead of in the app's print dialog. If there is a Mac equivalent of that approach you might try it.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Michael,

In a Mac system one can set custom paper sizes in the dialog box from photoshop. I don't use LR to print.

All one has to do is go to "print with Review and then go to Page Setup. Choose the Epson R2400 printer and then for "Paper Size" choose "Custom" Choose + to add a new paper size. Now insert the size 13"x60" and in the blank name space call it "13x60". Now go back to the paper choices and except your new paper size. That should work. I do not know what the length limit is.

Do you not want to use photoshop? One can even use Photoshop 7 AFAIK.

Still for doing a book, I'd think that the most precise control would be achieved with a RIP.

Asher

Nill Toulme

I didn't mean to imply that you can't set a custom print size through the print dialog in Windows. It's just that sometimes, at least with the Epson drivers, it doesn't seem to take hold that way. When that happens, going in via the alternate route has always worked for me.

But you're right about PS of course — you can achieve very precise placement control via the use of guides. That's how I create poster collages.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Alain Briot

pro member
I suggest using either CS3 or lightroom. They will give you the precision and the control you want. I personally do not print from Lightroom.

Michael Seltzer

Thank you all. For this project, as I am running out of time quickly, I decided to cut the roll down to sheets and print on these. I have also found a site that talks about this at http://www.convolutedbrian.com/epson-r2400-custom-roll-paper-sizes-macintosh.html
which looks like it would solve the problem I was having.

To Diane specifically: Yes, I usually do post questions like this on other forums--Adobe forums, LuminousLandscape, or DOP, whatever seems appropriate--and often run into the same people. However, I usually post here first, as I've found I often get better responses faster here than anywhere else.

Best to all,
Michael

CoreyBarney

I suggest using either CS3 or lightroom. They will give you the precision and the control you want. I personally do not print from Lightroom.

When I try defining a custom paper size, there seems to be no way to get the printer to handle it as roll paper. Is there any way to do this?

Hi Michael,

As it appears you're pressed for time, and you are working on a Mac, so I may not have the definitive answer (I'm a PC person myself). However, the solution to your quest seems to be "Qimage". While a Windows program, it apparently works fine on a Mac running Parallels or Virtual PC.

Qimage even allows to bypass the maximum page length limitations from the Epson printdriver (useful for panoramas on roll paper).

It has a huge number of options, but printing to a fixed page size is one of its easiest to accomplish tasks. It also allows to make efficient use of one's paper rolls by nesting prints of different size on the available surface area. It has a very moderate price, offers free updates, and creates superior image quality, compared to Photoshop and others. Of course it's fully color managed.

Highly recommended, in fact a must, for the toolbox.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

..Qimage even allows to bypass the maximum page length limitations from the Epson printdriver...
Hi Bart,

Are you sure about this statement? I have the Epson 3800 with a page length limitation of some 95 cm and QImage does not solve the problem. The only thing that helps is to use a RIP package.
So hopefully I am missing something? :).

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Bart,

Are you sure about this statement? I have the Epson 3800 with a page length limitation of some 95 cm and QImage does not solve the problem. The only thing that helps is to use a RIP package.

Cheers,

No, I don't think Qimage will solve this page length problem as it uses the maunfacturers driver. It does allow you to print posters however, which requires joining several sheets together.

The basic premise of Qimage is that drivers are now generally pretty good at putting ink down appropriately, but neither drivers or PS don't interpolate very well to the correct input/dithering resolution and Qimage handles interpolation and image placement on a page very very well.

I use it for all my printing now, although I have a rip to try one day when I've time.

Mike

Hi Bart,

Hi Cem,

I anticipate panoramas coming out of your printer soon, ... ;-)

The trick in Qimage is to spread the image to multiple (virtual) pages, with no space between the pages (compact spacing). Thus you can use the width of the paper roll as one limitation, and however many pages it needs in the length of the roll as your image needs. Just set the width of the roll, and set an image division like 1x2 or 1x3 or .. for multiples of the length you've specified, with the Poster rows/cols.

Bart

No, I don't think Qimage will solve this page length problem as it uses the maunfacturers driver. It does allow you to print posters however, which requires joining several sheets together.

Yup, posters with compact placing it is. The differnt tiles are placed without space inbetween. It's a workaround, but used by parorama printers on roll paper.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

I anticipate panoramas coming out of your printer soon, ... ;-)

The trick in Qimage is to spread the image to multiple (virtual) pages, with no space between the pages (compact spacing). Thus you can use the width of the paper roll as one limitation, and however many pages it needs in the length of the roll as your image needs. Just set the width of the roll, and set an image division like 1x2 or 1x3 or .. for multiples of the length you've specified, with the Poster rows/cols.

Bart
Hi Bart,

I had read about this trick but I have forgotten about it. Unfortunately, it does not work since the 3800 does not have a roll paper feeder. But I have found another utility here. Will give it a try sometime. I just have to donwgrade my printer driver to version 5.5 though since it does not work with the newest drivers. We'll see.

Cheers,

Bill Miller

Hello,

I purchased some 13" roll paper to use in printing images for a book I am making, and am having problems laying out the images to print along the roll as I want them to. I want the format of the book to be 13"x13" so landscape and portrait photos will both fit well. I have an Epson R2400 and am trying to use Lightroom. I was a little surprised to find that I couldn't simply select roll paper of a certain width in Page Setup, and then specify margins and image spacing and let LR place the images accordingly. It seems to need me to specify a virtual sheet size. However, my only choice is 13"x19", which doesn't allow me to place the photos properly in this case. I need some multiple of 13"x13" (preferably that or 13"x26"). When I try defining a custom paper size, there seems to be no way to get the printer to handle it as roll paper. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you,
Michael

Let me say this take no offense but this is a good example. Did you go to Epson's site. It has all the answers including roll printing http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/r2400_/r2400_rf/basic_3.htm

Here is a full reference Guide http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/r2400_/r2400_rf/index.htm

People are always asking operational questions on this and other forums, never looking at the manual or going to the source (manufacture's site). BTW it took less then 1 minute to find the answer. And the answer is correct not something that some thinks might work.

I use the roll function on a 2200 which is similar. The program sending the file to the printer uses the printer driver. I can print a banner from Word . As long as your program allows you to set the paper size the printer will handle it. Go to page 45 of manual gives you step by step for Mac OS http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r2400_/r2400_ug.pdf

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Hello,

I purchased some 13" roll paper to use in printing images for a book I am making, and am having problems laying out the images to print along the roll as I want them to. I want the format of the book to be 13"x13" so landscape and portrait photos will both fit well. I have an Epson R2400 and am trying to use Lightroom. I was a little surprised to find that I couldn't simply select roll paper of a certain width in Page Setup, and then specify margins and image spacing and let LR place the images accordingly. . . .

I do all my printing via Qimage. I looked at what I has to say about use of roll paper, and it looks promising, but I didn't pursue the whole doctrine. Most of the discussion I found so far is couched in terms of making a single really big print, but what you need may well be possible as well.

It points out that exploiting this in any event requires a "roll-aware" printer driver. (The driver for my Epson Stylus Photo R800 is "roll aware".)

Sorry that I can't at this point fit all the pieces directly together. If this avenue is of any interest to you, I'll be glad to pursue it further. Qimage is a wondrous thing, but one has to have patience sometimes to find out just what is really what.

Doug Kerr

Further looking at the Help for Qimage leads me to the following conclusions (but I can't be absolutely sure).

1. We can set (via the printer setup facility, accessible from within Qimage) as long a page as the printer driver will allow. (In the case of my Epson Stylus Photo R800, that is 129".)

2. Having done that, Qimage will then allow images to be placed (with considerable control over frame size and such) on pages of that size. As always, if more pictures are nominated that will fit on one page (even one that large), Qimage will construct additional pages.

3. In addition, we need to set the paper source (in the printer setup facility, again accessible from inside Qimage) to "roll".

4. Then, when the print job is run, at the end of each page (again, these are very long pages, up to 129" long for my printer), Qimage without further ado will begin to print the next page of the job.

Presumably, as always, when setting up the "frame" layout in Qimage, attention needs to be given to the matter of top and bottom margins , but since these margins only occur at great intervals, there is probably nothing tricky involved (unless of course there is concern with maintaining a fixed separation (perhaps "none") between images, even those separated by a page boundary.

Qimage uses a different approach than many other programs to the matter of "margins", but I am confident that one could do what is necessary in this situation.

Best regards,

Doug