• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Phtoshop CS5 - Automatic application of IPTC metadata?

Doug Kerr

I have not been a serious Photoshop user, but I'm making my peace with the beast.

Somehow, I had been under the impression that PS could automatically apply user-preset IPTC metadata (or additional Exif metadata) by default to each edited file (for example, a copyright notice, photographer's contact information, standard usage terms, etc.).

But I don't seem to find any provision for doing such, nor any mention of it in the Help system.

I am of course aware of the possibility of creating metadata templates and summoning one when processing an image. Perhaps that was what people had been speaking of.

I'd appreciate any additional information on this.

Thanks.

I have not been a serious Photoshop user, but I'm making my peace with the beast.

Somehow, I had been under the impression that PS could automatically apply user-preset IPTC metadata (or additional Exif metadata) by default to each edited file (for example, a copyright notice, photographer's contact information, standard usage terms, etc.).

But I don't seem to find any provision for doing such, nor any mention of it in the Help system.

I am of course aware of the possibility of creating metadata templates and summoning one when processing an image. Perhaps that was what people had been speaking of.

I'd appreciate any additional information on this.

Thanks.

Hi Doug,

I'm currently waiting for the delivery of my PS CS5, so I don't know what, if anything, has changed, but on my CS3 file info dialog box there is a cicular icon with an arrow at the top right, a fly-out menu.

There you can save your current information, and later apply it with one click to other files.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

I'm currently waiting for the delivery of my PS CS5, so I don't know what, if anything, has changed, but on my CS3 file info dialog box there is a cicular icon with an arrow at the top right, a fly-out menu.

There you can save your current information, and later apply it with one click to other files.
I think that may be comparable to the provision in PS CS5 for saving the current metadata to a named template, and later, calling that back to apply to the then-current file.

Jerry Skrocki pointed out in another forum where I had also posted this inquiry that the metadata held in a template could be applied en masse to multiple files under Bridge.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Doug