• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Maybe not a bad metaphor

Doug Kerr

Carla subscribes (on my behalf) to several print photographic magazines (she sets then as part of some package for "points" she gets from some kind of shopping). They are actually pretty interesting (although it is frustrating to not just be able to click on "Reply" and start, "Not exactly . . .".

I keep them on a stack on the table next to where we sit to use our foot massaging system. This morning, I noticed an ad for Colin Smith's PhotoshopCAFE series of video training programs on Photoshop and other topics.

For the set "Photoshop Secrets for Digital Photographers (CS5 edition)", the ad showed what seems to be the cover illustration for the DVD case. On it, we see a young woman (apparently in "hippie" garb) doing what at first looked to me as sitting on the third rail of an electrified transit trackway. You can see it here:

http://photoshopcafe.com/video/products/CS5_Digital_Photographers.htm

Later consideration made me think that no, that was not a third rail, but rather one of the main rails, and the rail we see just to our left is a "guard rail (used on bridges and the like so that a train that derails is still held not too far from its intended course, such that hopefully it will not plunge over the side).

Even further consideration suggests that perhaps what we see in an actual rail, and the young woman is sitting on a wood "curb" alongside the trackwork. Oh, well!

Still, the thought of the original interpretation strikes me as a very apt metaphor for some of our forays into advanced image manipulation.

Best regards,

Doug

Martin Evans

I can't quite figure it out either - but then, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to.
Perhaps it's not such a brilliant example to use in advertizing CS5?
What is worth remembering is that someone presumably got paid a decent sum of money for creating that image.

Regards to all,

Martin