• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: underwater monsters

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I now find underwater photos quite stunning (I used to consider it like a hobby for divers or a scientific purpose only)
....And there the census of marine life new press release with astounding image of quite creepy creatures.

http://origin.coml.org/what-lives-sea-image-gallery

Sandrine,

The amazing results of this 10 year gigantic international study are not getting the press attention deserved and warranted by their splendor. Moreover, these images show biodiversity of the planet imagined in science fiction but never before documented in all this richness. Here are very low resolution samples.

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

See the full array of pictures Sandrine pointed to in her post.

Also Go to Amazon.com and perhaps you might want to purchase this book at just ~ $17, where you can really get to appreciate the vast and simply glorius scope of one of the most significant bodies of research on our treasured planet's precious life that we have under our jurisdiction!

Picture 5.jpg

Thanks, Sandrine, for bringing this beauty and splendor to our attention.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I got a tiny gadget with all the times around the world where my friends live...So I know when you're supposed to sleep...And at 5h30 am you weren't :)

You're correct! I was up at 4:30 a.m., worried for some obscure reason about a shoot yesterday afternoon with my pictures on a new 64GB card. To me it seems like an ocean of infinite depth for my images to somehow get lost in!! I was obsessing about the danger I had put my creative offspring in. So I decided to get them into the safely of my hard drive. Only images from a previous day were there. Some monsters from the black depths of the vast storage abyss stole my entire model shoot from yesterday! Then they arose and gobbled up the rest of the images and now there are none!

Let's see how image recovery software can rescue my children!

Asher

While I'm there, can I try a bit of lobbying?

The fact that I was to reconsider my vision of underwater photography, is that I have a friend who is a diver ans who showed me some images of his...

He doesn't have a "decent" way to show his processed images, only an old website, disused now, aimed for hobbyist divers like him (gear etc) and with some photos for the purpose of species identification. I must admit that I used to be in love with his processed manta images (mostly black and white) and that the photos showed there:

http://www.aquaphil.net/pages/home___aquaphil_pag.html

are not giving the full account of his stunning work of art (I mean it)

PS: He is not actually a real friend of mine, more a virtual fellow photographer, met on the french Nikon Forum, but we share the same passion for music and he made me love these underwater pictures as proper photography. I told me that he is preparing a new website with his processed pictures, but has to fight head to head With wordpress, the final outcome is not yet decided. Who'll win? Same bat-hour - Same bat-channel.

Joachim Bolte

How advanced is your friend in digital processing? I'm an underwater-photographer myself, and by the look of it the pictures on his site could benefit a lot from a little color-correction. If he needs (and wants) any help with that we could give him some tips.

The following thread shows what impact corrections can have on an image. The first posting in it is mine, my forum-name there is Joey_B.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=36156957&q=stingray&qf=m
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=36182474&q=underwater+joey+B&qf=m

How advanced is your friend in digital processing? I'm an underwater-photographer myself, and by the look of it the pictures on his site could benefit a lot from a little color-correction. If he needs (and wants) any help with that we could give him some tips.

I don't know really, but be sure I'll transmit him your suggestion...
I'll give him your website link...
That's very kind of you...

Last edited:

The following thread shows what impact corrections can have on an image. The first posting in it is mine, my forum-name there is Joey_B.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=36156957&q=stingray&qf=m
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=36182474&q=underwater+joey+B&qf=m

I had a talk with Philippe and he really appreciate your help, but he told me that for the moment he wants to learn and do things by himself. He also said that his images are mostly for his own pleasure and only sometimes for "nature" exhibitions where any post-prod is strictly forbidden.

I gave him your links anyway, so maybe he'll find some new ideas to brighten up the stuff!
Cheers!

Joachim Bolte

pas grave, if that is what he's most happy with, it's cool with me. Never the less I've send you a PM with one of his sites images processed so you might show it to him.

Asher Kelman

Sandrine,

It's really interesting about your friend''s work. He himself seems to work in a cave. The light is poor but he's happy.

Asher