• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: One of my wife's hobbies..

fahim mohammed

Being a pretty accomplished mountain climber, my wife instinctively looks down as often ( maybe more )
than I do.

This has led her into maintaining a private library of manholes in all the countries, cities, towns and villages that we have visited across the world.

She insists that the way manholes are designed, maintained and placed speaks a lot about the place she is visiting and its people...

I am allowed to post only 1 or 2 from her collection...

p711393725.jpg

What do you photograph?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

One of the loveliest manhole covers I have seen! Nagyon jó. Köszönöm szépen!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

As you probably know, I think the legend reads (roughly) "Budapest Electricity Works Property".

Best regards,

Doug

John Angulat

pro member
Being a pretty accomplished mountain climber, my wife instinctively looks down as often ( maybe more )
than I do.

This has led her into maintaining a private library of manholes in all the countries, cities, towns and villages that we have visited across the world.

She insists that the way manholes are designed, maintained and placed speaks a lot about the place she is visiting and its people...

I am allowed to post only 1 or 2 from her collection...

p711393725.jpg

What do you photograph?

You two never cease to amaze me!

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

One of the loveliest manhole covers I have seen! Nagyon jó. Köszönöm szépen!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Fahim,

As you probably know, I think the legend reads (roughly) "Budapest Electricity Works Property".

Best regards,

Doug

Hello there Doug,

Thank you for stopping by. Agree, it is a beautiful design. I never gave a thought to what the writing said, except for ' Budapest '. Appreciate you taking time to translate it. Do you speak Hungarian?

Ayesha has seen the response, and conveys her best to Carla and yourself.

Kindest regards.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Thank you for stopping by. Agree, it is a beautiful design. I never gave a thought to what the writing said, except for ' Budapest '. Appreciate you taking time to translate it. Do you speak Hungarian?

Not really, although I have encountered the language on various occasions. (My late first wife was of partly Hungarian extraction, and I encountered the language a bit when interacting with her relatives and visiting her old neighborhood in Brooklyn.)

I have encountered a lot of technical stuff with markings in Hungarian, and so I thought I recognized the work művek (it means "works" and, as with the English word, that can mean both in the sense of a "plant" and also of an oeuvre!) and, from seeing various Hungarian military items, the word tulajdona, meaning (essentially) "property (of)". But I did a little Internet research to confirm my thoughts.

In the course of that, I found this site:

http://manholemiscellany.blogspot.com/2007/08/budapest.html

Perhaps Ayesha is familiar with it.

Ayesha has seen the response, and conveys her best to Carla and yourself.

Thanks so much. We continue to admire her work, and yours, and of course the stories that go with it.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Doug, appreciate you giving me some background.

Ayesha has the url you supplied. No, she had not visited that site. I am asked to pass on
a very big thanks to you. She is surprised that someone would be interested in manhole designs!

Regards.