• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Camille Silvy

Sandrine, I was thinking of going but it's closed by the time I arrive in London this year. wonder where it's gong then? I guess then it will be up to you to give us a report!

Asher

It's supposed to last 'till October so I will try not to miss it!

as you may have noticed at the end of the article, this exhibition has been "sponsored" by the "jeu de paume" in Paris which is a venue dedicated to modern/contemporary photography. However, this exhibition will not take place in France because France has no venue... So they say) to welcome early photography (more or less due to government cuts). So Londoners and tourists will be able to see the brilliant work of Silvy payed partly with the French taxpayer's money :) ....Ahhhh Europe!

It's so impossible technically speaking to put some early photography print in a room dedicated for contemporary pictures... Ahhhh France!

I went to the exhibition yesterday (mainly to avoid being drenched staying in Brighton..).I will gather all the infos I can, and try to report it for you, if anyone is interested.

been there at last

The exhibition is said to display over 100 images* from the whole Camille Silvy's career. From the beginnings i From to the peak of his business, the portraits of the Victorian London High Society (as well as some few late works back in France). The display spread over 4 middle sized rooms roughly by chronological order.

1st Room: The early works

Some landscapes from France - around Paris.

CamilleSilvy1.jpg

in this image the supposed Sunday afternoon picnic is in fact cautiously directed with "actors" as well as the sky has been filled with clouds from another image in the laboratory.

There are some other images from Algeria where Silvy was on duty as an ambassador.

hashishsmoker.jpg

mostly bigger images from 20*25 cm to around A3 format.

the room also displays some ordering catalogues with ordering numbers to make the reprints easier, hence the studio business came later in Sylvy's carrer.

CamilleSilvyExpo12.jpg

as well as some pieces of enamelled photo pendants and a vintage crinoline.

CamilleSilvy3.jpg

on one of the ordering catalogues we can see the well famous photograph of Honoré de Balzac that every school boy or girl from France should know as it appears on every shcool book for ages.

honore-de-balzac.jpg

2nd room : High Society

The beginning of the London life...Some cartes-de visite are shown** from mainly nobility and bourgeoisie people, that used to be printed by dozens or hundreds depending on your celebrity.

here a multi-shot of Silvy himself
camillesilvy243.jpg

from plates containing 2 or 4 sets of 2 poses, a bit of the ancient ID polaroid picture.

Here we can see bigger picture from the streets of London, depicting the city life.

CamilleSilvy2.jpg

This image have been made using multiple negatives to increase the grey rangeas we as use of blur on the background. The invention of HDR ;-)

here is a view of Silvy's studio and lab that used to employ up to 40 persons:

736px-View_of_Camille_Silvys_photographic_studio_38_Porchester_Terrace_by_Camille_Silvy_3.jpg

3rd room: artistic scene

here are displayed some of the studio shots made of Opera and theatre stars of the time, mostly in their stage costumes.

Here Angelina Patti:

Adelina_Patti_1843-1919.jpg

AP.jpg

Rosina Wright

RosinaWright001.jpg

the last room: late years

here are shown some of the late years of Silvy's career as he was returning in France followed by a period of complete inactivity as he was kept in a mental illness asylum due to what it seems to be manic depression. He used to play a part on the French emperor propaganda under the reign of Napoleon the third. See this made-up scene of people reading the news of Napoleon's "blog" in the streets of Paris.

camille-sylvie_1681909c-1.jpg

and to finish a view of how where displayed the cartes de visites in larger frames.

CamilleSilvyExpo11.jpg

image stollen by me, before being said that the photos were forbidden- Sorry about that...

The main account on modern photography by Silvy is the marketing in the studio and his cleverness a a "buzz" maker.

In the book "quand j'était photographe" (when I was a photographer) by Nadar, he is been said to have build a special studio for the purpose of photographing the queen Victoria with this inscription on the door "Queen's Studio". This studio was always unused, closed but the door was pierced with a small window, so the people who been there to be photographed indulged their curiosity on their way to the main studio. so the high society of the time rushed to be portrayed where the royalties seems to have their habits. Of course the Queen never came.
He is also said to have a pile of pristine white gloves on the lobby drawer, and use to change them before welcoming new customer on the premises. And to have of bowl to dispose of the "dirty" ones after the shoot.

he made a big step on creating a bespoke industry on photographic portraits with for example signature stamps:

Silvisversopp.jpg

and made to measure parcel boxes and the clever system of ordering catalogues.

The exhibition was quite interesting mostly because in my opinion Silvy is very underrated as an artist, which is always opposed to businessman. Despite a very dim light which is not very useful very you are looking at picture smaller than 4*6" and the fact that the works presented covers a far too long periods (I wish they would concentrate on a particular period) that lead to a ill-assorted lot. In addition there was a small but useful explanation on the techniques used such as albumen print, wet colodion and the principle of multiple negative on one image, not to be said that that the photos were in perfect conditions due to their age. And last but not least a nice arrangement of side material such as the dress, pendants parcel boxes, books, etc...

and
3253518761_f785bd5770_z.jpg

unknown woman

and some useful links:

http://www.npg.org.uk/index.php?id=5754
http://blog.londonconnection.com/?p=8602
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/about/photographs-collection/photographic-holdings-albums.php
http://britishphotohistory.ning.com/forum/topics/camille-silvy

Hope you enjoyed it!

* I doubt so, unless they count the images in books.
** I'll maybe show a part of my own collection of cartes-de visites is you genuflect enough to please me :)

most of the images displayed here have been stolen here and about on the internet. As they all are from before 1923, I assume maybe wrongly that they are all without copyright.