• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Credo for Photography

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Perhaps comparing digital photography to mints and gummy bears isn't the best way to encourage participation, just a thought.

I made a goof in my use of metaphor to describe my work with my newly acquired iPhone as like having gummy bears and mints! (post #6) So what do I mean? Well George, my newly acquired cell phone has opened up my eyes to the gratifying sweetness of instantly being able to take pictures where I've been stopped by having a regular camera. No one takes it seriously, yet the pictures are wonderful and immediately enjoyable, (perhaps, even more so than with my favorite digicam, the Ricoh GXR. For my grandchildren, age 4 and 2, the greatest presents are mints and gummy bears! So that's my reference. Far from being pejorative, I had meant simply the iPhone picture taking gave me instant pleasure! Huge clear screen and touch the place one wants to focus and voila the picture. Then for stitching, I use photosynth and can assemble respectable panoramas with ease, right under the eyes of the man who won't let me use my camera.

The iPhone as all digital cameras, (but more so), gives instant pleasure and fulfillment and is very satisfying as a photographic instrument.

For those who do not know me I am totally embedded in the digital world, but have nostalgic and very strong love for film photography. Still my central dogma is that it's the picture that counts and not how one made it. Notwithstanding that, I respect highly skilled artisans and that applies to film photography too and am grateful for those who keep the art of film photography alive. I myself use an 8x10, 6x6 and 35 mm film but not as often as I'd like.

I just want to make it clear to everyone that my respect for film doesn't diminish my love for digital photography. My main artwork is in digital. My remark was innocent. Here in OPF, we don't tolerate smarmy attitudes or snobbish putdowns, so I want to make it clear that if what I said inadvertently offends anyone, then I apologize.

I am too much aware of my own mortality and low importance in the scheme of things to put on airs and be dismissive to other photographers way of working. Those who know me better, understand that. Here in OPF, we are brand and methodology neutral. Of course gear is fascinating but like owning a piano, or a flute, what matters is the music, just the music . Same with photography. Be assured, it's just the picture that counts.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me go a step further. I'll share with you some of my private images that might better show my interest in photography for my artwork. Until now, most of my work in OPF comes from casual street shooting or work for clients.

The first images you will see will be from the series "13 LA Women", all made in the studio with a combination of reflected natural light and studio strobes. This is metaphorical and staged. While each position has been worked out for its function towards the whole, in the shoot, variations are recorded for the final choices and assembly. The picture to be shared is a sketch that will be used to make the final picture from RAW files and is expected to be about 5ft by 10 feet.

This first one is called "Sweatshop".

Then I'll share with you much more abstract work and that will demonstrate that I'm not in anyway against digital work, but rather depend on it.

Asher