• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The business of photography (a rant)

George Holroyd

I was just catching up on my Facebook feed and found a post by Lens Culture announcing that the Photofest 2012 Paris portfolio reviews, scheduled for November were "filling up fast". On closer inspection (of the Photofest web site), I read that the fee for the three day event is 695.00 Euros. This is insane and obviously, prices me out of consideration. This is distressing to me, as I am actively looking for ways to gain exposure for my 33 Meters Squared series and will likely be in Paris during the festival. I have other commitments and simply cannot devote much money toward buying into this pay-to-play mentality.

I can hardly believe the number of photographers who are willing to pay such exorbitant prices to sit through a review. Likewise, I am shocked at the number of photographers who have chosen to augment their incomes by fleecing emerging artists. Workshops, portfolio reviews, and themed group exhibits have become nothing more than cash cows for a few established (and marginally-established) photographers and unethical gallerists. I have read numerous complaints about the frequency of deadline extensions for group exhibit calls, seemingly to generate more income in entry fees. Frankly, the whole "business" makes me sick.

Case in point: Over the past few days, I have been agonizing over which 3 to 5 images to submit for an upcoming group exhibit here in Paris. The contest allows a maximum of 10 images, but at 15.00 a pop, I can only afford to submit a few. I've taken part in enough of these to realize that I will always second guess my decision and I am invariably left wondering if I chose the wrong images on those (many) occasions when I don't get into the show. It's a total crap shoot and more often than not, a very disheartening experience.

I have no intention of stopping, i will continue to produce, but I have no idea how to gain exposure without holding my nose and pretending that I'm not getting ripped off by entering into these so-called contests and calls for artists. As for paying a thousand bucks (USD) to attend a portfolio review, forget it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Georg,

For sure, getting enthusiasts and artists to the feeding trough is proven way of making a good living. Don just posted a picture of an infant monkey on the back of its moth in Costa Rica. I believe he arranges these trips more for his own love of doing that kind of photography and interacting with others than for money. Others simply a milking a cash cow.

We've had a number of photographers become successful starting in OPF. They have not all become recognized artists, but they earn a living. None, to my knowledge, paid to be in group shows. Perhaps if they had, they'd have been more successful as an artist as opposed to earning a living full time.

Sometimes, the person curating the show is an important and trustworthy figure from a major institution. I'd have a go at that perhaps. I'd like to know who got their break in this way.

Asher

George Holroyd

The fact is, some have gotten established by going the pay-to-play route. That's the carrot.

A while back I submitted three images to a call for artists with a juror whose work I respect, thinking that I would limit myself to only opting in if I knew of the juror. I didn't make the show but the juror came back to a number of us and informed us that she was going to "exhibit" the entries that made her shortlist on her blog. A consolation prize, to be sure, but also an indication to me that the juror cared enough to take the time to try to expose our work. Situations like that are the exception rather than the rule.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Asher Kelman

The fact is, some have gotten established by going the pay-to-play route. That's the carrot.

A while back I submitted three images to a call for artists with a juror whose work I respect, thinking that I would limit myself to only opting in if I knew of the juror. I didn't make the show but the juror came back to a number of us and informed us that she was going to "exhibit" the entries that made her shortlist on her blog. A consolation prize, to be sure, but also an indication to me that the juror cared enough to take the time to try to expose our work. Situations like that are the exception rather than the rule.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

George,

Still it's heartening to find that the process can work and that there are decent folk behind at least a few. I'd write to that person and thank her and make sure you go to her exhibits without bugging her. Eventually she might open up more avenues for you. she might even have a group show of her own and your work might just create the balance the collections need.

Asher

George Holroyd

I've been trying to establish a network among other artists, to the extent possible. Trouble is, I've not been in the US in a number of years due to work. I've gotten in a few shows (three, to be exact) but haven't been able to attend any of the openings to meet the jurors.

I've been in Paris for a little while now and may be staying on for a lot longer, if that pans out then i will begin to try to establish myself here, rather than in the US. Which, is why engaging in upcoming opportunities here in France is important to me.

fahim mohammed

George, I unfortunately cannot offer guidance in how to succeed in the ' art ' world.

But I can offer my sincere and best wishes that you succeed. There are quite a few on OPF, that
are very knowledgable about the subject. They are very helpful too. I m sure they shall chime in.

I have visited your site, and very much like your work.

Best wishes.

I've been trying to establish a network among other artists, to the extent possible. Trouble is, I've not been in the US in a number of years due to work. I've gotten in a few shows (three, to be exact) but haven't been able to attend any of the openings to meet the jurors.

I've been in Paris for a little while now and may be staying on for a lot longer, if that pans out then i will begin to try to establish myself here, rather than in the US. Which, is why engaging in upcoming opportunities here in France is important to me.

Asher Kelman

George,

One of the most important things in art that I feel will stand you in good stead is first, as Polonius advised to his son, Polonius:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

He did not mean be true to yourself in the way you may think. That is it's not about feting your psyche. Rather it's about focusing your resources in a rather selfish manner so that you can succeed. Then you are in a position to project to others.

Polonius was in fact rather pompous. So I'd better avoid that aspect, LOL!

My impression is that you re focussed well on your own vision and that will play well for you. This is where you put your resources, developing and progressing the current track you are on with your wife.

The best investment you can have right now is to take her out to dinner and give her some flowers. She's been very good to you and will be an important part of your success.

She's your muse and that's important to being true to yourself to look after and celebrate her.

If she's happy, your art will progress.

Asher

George Holroyd

George, I unfortunately cannot offer guidance in how to succeed in the ' art ' world.

But I can offer my sincere and best wishes that you succeed. There are quite a few on OPF, that
are very knowledgable about the subject. They are very helpful too. I m sure they shall chime in.

I have visited your site, and very much like your work.

Best wishes.

Thank you, Fahim. I appreciate your feedback.

I'm just a little disappointed at being pointed to certain web sites and/or individuals only to find them looking to make a quick buck off of me rather than from their own art. That's really what this rant is about.

Asher Kelman

Thank you, Fahim. I appreciate your feedback.

I'm just a little disappointed at being pointed to certain web sites and/or individuals only to find them looking to make a quick buck off of me rather than from their own art. That's really what this rant is about.
George,

There are three types of humans, hunters, gathers and jokers. We all have different percentages of each of these traits It's natural for hunters to see that there are millions of creative people who want to get ahead. So they become "experts" and market themselves as the wonder guides on kurt respective paths to success. I know that some folk are helped by this. I've seen people benefit. However, most will just go on to take the next seminar, course or buy and new DVD set instead of making the last part of the journey on their own.

If you go to Cancun in Mexico for a vacation, you'll be met at the airport by scores of folk who'll try to convince you that they have the best hotel, sure fishing for game fish or free ride to town and hotel if you go to a seminar on time sharing. Each gives something but it's all part of a scam to get you to spend your money fast. But that's just their way of hunting. You really have to admire them for how efficient they are.

We also get the benefit of new ideas like Lensbaby or Maxwell Screens or online storage of images as in Smugmug. That's natural. You have to perfect your art, (gatherer) and then monetize it, (hunter).

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

George

I think I just friend you on fb...and now find you here at OPF
Facebook is a great venue for me. I sell some prints and do cover art for horror writer Steen Langstrup Denmark also Annika Von Holdt I closely collaborate with. Author of thrillers-

Back to the conversation- I was approached the same way for a huge show in Venice Italy Faust Brozzi- invitation only.... however the cost of membership to show in this exclusive show is around 400.00 U.S. Seriously. The cost alone to ship and make is a lot. Also you have the responsibility to recover your own art that was not sold. Another cost!

So I do understand. I did decline.

Nice to meet you

Charlotte-

George Holroyd

George

I think I just friend you on fb...and now find you here at OPF
Facebook is a great venue for me. I sell some prints and do cover art for horror writer Steen Langstrup Denmark also Annika Von Holdt I closely collaborate with. Author of thrillers-

Back to the conversation- I was approached the same way for a huge show in Venice Italy Faust Brozzi- invitation only.... however the cost of membership to show in this exclusive show is around 400.00 U.S. Seriously. The cost alone to ship and make is a lot. Also you have the responsibility to recover your own art that was not sold. Another cost!

So I do understand. I did decline.

Nice to meet you

Charlotte-

I sent the FB friend request based on your posts here at OPF.

As for the topic at hand, it's just too much to pay the cost of manufacture plus shipping to and fro to even consider entering the various contests that are available. I make a decent living but I'll be damned if I'm going to supplement some other artist's income in the hope of "being discovered".

Jerome Marot

The business of gallerists, publishers and exhibitors changed in that there are more customers amongst the photographers than amongst the viewers. It is sad, but such is life. And I may be wrong, but I believe that this situation is probably worse in Paris than anywhere else in the world.

The difficulty is compounded by the fact that gallerists, publishers and exhibitors are not doing their jobs. I noticed your post about "Le journal de la photographie". Your series "33 m squared" is great, I like it, but when I see what pictures were chosen, it seems to me that the least imaginative of the series, the more "cliché", the more mundane were chosen. How sad.

George Holroyd

The business of gallerists, publishers and exhibitors changed in that there are more customers amongst the photographers than amongst the viewers. It is sad, but such is life. And I may be wrong, but I believe that this situation is probably worse in Paris than anywhere else in the world.

The difficulty is compounded by the fact that gallerists, publishers and exhibitors are not doing their jobs. I noticed your post about "Le journal de la photographie". Your series "33 m squared" is great, I like it, but when I see what pictures were chosen, it seems to me that the least imaginative of the series, the more "cliché", the more mundane were chosen. How sad.

There's a saying in the US, "If you are invited to a poker game and you don't know who the mark is, it's you." In other words, it is as you say, the new sucker (err, customer) is the wannabe photographer, not the art buyer. it is a sad state of affairs and yet another symptom of the "race to the bottom" that is happening in the field.

Charlotte Thompson

George

Exactly so-

There's a saying in the US, "If you are invited to a poker game and you don't know who the mark is, it's you." In other words, it is as you say, the new sucker (err, customer) is the wannabe photographer, not the art buyer. it is a sad state of affairs and yet another symptom of the "race to the bottom" that is happening in the field. George Holroyd-

Charlotte-