• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The ProPhoto Home forum

Doug Kerr

I used to visit fairly frequently the ProPhoto Home forum. There I could get insulted (ineptly) by the proprietor, a very pleasant fellow (unlike dpr, where I had to be insulted by people of no consequence whatsoever).

I had recently reported on a change in management of the forum, with the prospect of big changes in the forum's orientation and structure.

I haven't visited much, mostly only to give a shout to Chuck Westfall of Canon USA, who inexplicably has chosen that forum as one of the few he has the time to attend regularly. Often when I visited via my "recent posts" link, I found the most recent post four weeks old - and from me, of all things.

This morning I decided to make a trip to this seedy part of town to seek insight from our respected Canon source on something I hadn't paid much attention to since its emergence, the new Canon "STM" ("stepping motor", for God's sake) focus drive system.

But when I arrived, I found that my cookied user ID and password (I had been a Lifetime Member before) were no longer valid. OK - I have lost my membership card to the back room at Mom's 'Eats' Café.

But I saw a button labeled "Guest Posters Wanted." I took a peek. This turned out to be an invitation for people to write substantial articles for presentation by PPH, which would have to be given exclusive rights to the pieces.

There was a fascinating set of style, format, and submission guidelines for prospective authors. One of the nicest (presented here verbatim, in its entirety) was this:

5/It must be spelling and grammatically correct, although colloquial second person articles may be considered too.​

Another fascinating one was this earlier item (presented here verbatim, in its entirety), part of a list of "reasons you should post here":

2/ Google is now placing ever greater weight on topical links from good content on related sites. In fact post the so called penguin update, it seems a percentage of links from related sites are essential.
Sites that do not have the get dropped.:​

Well, that's enough to convince me that this is a serious vehicle for technical articles!

But the close gives us some insight into what we have here:

If you have something for us, in the first instance please use the contact form.​

Clearly, this has all been machine translated from the Croation.

Next week: we go to the part of town near the old bus station, and see if anyone there understands how it can be that, although the Moon is smaller than the Earth, it is farther away.

Best regards,

Doug