• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yahoo to acquire Flickr, users flee

Harvey Moore

Yahoo owned flickr when I signed up about 1 1/2 years ago, but they now forcing users to open a yahoo account and will recognize only yahoo mail login id. Received an email on this yesterday, 1/30/07

I just renewed my flickr pro account 2 months ago, but I am now looking for another photo host site. Any ideas on good host sites ?

Harvey, please don't get me wrong..

I just renewed my flickr pro account 2 months ago, but I am now looking for another photo host site. Any ideas on good host sites ?

... but I'm vouching for Smugmug.

Also they now offer 50% discount off the first year to the flickr users.

I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are very good. Best I personaly could find. To get any better (for the price) you need to do it yourself - and know how.

HTH

Harvey Moore

Nik,

smugmug seems to be a great deal with this promotion, and pbase is another viable option. I am looking in to both.

I am considering a web host also and "doing it myself" with a little help from web gallery exports by Lightroom and CS3.

harvey

Diane Fields

I have an account at flickr but admit I have hardly used it. I really don't care for it that much. I have had one at Pbase since before it was a paid site--I 'contributed' to helping keep it up and running when they did it more as a service-- and find I still have months and months of usage left--nice that that was recognized, but at the time, it was the only decent thing around. Some have had some problems--usually due to wanting it 'right now' and servers, etc. have been added over the years. I will say that I've never reloaded a thing--everything always 'righted' itself given a short time---and the images are not surrounded by other text. I don't try to sell from mine (though I get a number of requests and follow them up). I don't really care how many 'hits' I get---though a lot of Pbase folks get a lot, do sell, etc.---but I find it easy to deal with--you can personalize it as you like---and, again--there's little there to divert the eye from the images.

Diane

I have been using SmugMug for about 3-4 years and I'm very happy with them. The only complain is that sometimes uploading is slow but that's not a big problem for me. I have recommended them to all my friends who are looking for a picture hosting and that's saying something.

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Hi Harvey,

I use pbase and SmugMug.

I've used SmugMug for about two years and recommend it highly. Good tools for viewing and selling. Where all my event work is posted.

Pbase makes a good "portfolio" site, especially if you customize the CSS code to give it your personal "look".

Tony Bonanno

Harvey Moore

Hello Tony

You and the others convinced me to try SmugMug. I am paid up for another 10 months at flickr, I'll just leave and migrate anyway. Biggest pain is remembering where I have links setup that I need to move.

I see you are in Santa Fe, is there much around there to shoot early to mid March ? I am planning an Amtrak train trip with a few stopovers, starts in Clemson SC to DC to Chicago then to Southwest for a few days and return.

harvey

Louis Doench

Wow... in order to post here and at my new blog, I just got a year of Flickr. Suits my needs sor far. Peoples pbase and smugmug pages do look cool. Maybe this time next yera I'll be ready to upgrade.

I wonder whether they use simple tools or the interfaces in Smugmug require html knowledge.

Asher

If you don't know any css/html - that's fine.
Default page layout is decent and they have gobs of themes in the dropdown list.
However, if you do know some, you can make your pages truly unique and make them server your purpose more fully.

Again, by default no knoweldge is implied. All you gotta do is to open an account and have some pics to upload:)

HTH

Jeff Donovan

Another vote for Smugmug

Great site, great customer service.

They just did a major upgrade that significantly enhances the load times and lets you scroll through multiple pictures very quickly.

I'm probably going to upgrade my account soon so I can post some short video and customize it a bit more.