• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway

StuartRae

I spent a sunny hour sitting on the platform at Eskdale Green station, watching the trains..........

The River Esk approaching Eskdale Green from Dalegarth.
350D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS @ 55mm, f8, 1/320 sec.

IMG_4256-01.jpg

The River Esk prepares to leave for Ravenglass.
350D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS @ 33mm, f8, 1/100 sec.

IMG_4261-01.jpg

The Douglas Ferreira (diesel-hydraulic) from Ravenglass.
350D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS @ 55mm, f5.6, 1/50 sec.

IMG_4270-01.jpg

The River Irt from Dalegarth.
350D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS @ 33mm, f4, 1/640 sec.

IMG_4274-01.jpg

Regards,
Stuart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Stuart
you made my day!
Stunning, both pictures and people…
The 1st one is really amazing, made me LoL for a good while (not the pic by itself but what it shows…) though the last one is of the same kind ;-)

Thanks for sharing

StuartRae

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the comments. It was a beautiful day and the open air carriages were full of happy tourists. In more normal Lake District weather they shelter in the closed carriages :)

Hi Cem,

The current railway is 15 inch gauge and is used just for tourists, although the original railway was 3ft gauge and had an industrial use. You can read about it here

Regards,
Stuart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Stuart
next time we drive to (or from) Scotland, I know we have to make a stop by the "Lake District". Last time we drove thru with the feeling that we should step there for a little while.
Honestly not for this train, but for the land and it's People…