• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Steps and Shadows: fun or sassy, architectural to pastoral

Phil Marion

interior of The National Art Museum - Mexico City

4040238647_4d7024ba36_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
11470993-lg.jpg

Steps and Shadows​

Canon 50D EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens, 1/500 @ f/10 ISO 200

This, Charles, is a remarkable architectural and attractive image. The sharp, dark zigzag shadows in the light sand colored steps seem to argue with each other yet are in some energetic harmony. The one cross linking shadow on the lower step helps to firm up the composition. Many of us might have cloned that out and that would have been a simplistic mistake.

Asher

Asher, thanks for your insightful comment.

I saw the conflict (your "argument") and found the resolution in the cross shadow. I didn't think of removing it. Hmmm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stairs are always fascinating...Best regards,
Michael

Way up - click on photo for larger version​

Michael,

I wondered how the image might look with redistribution of tonalities, as if we printed it on different papers in the darkroom. I hope it's O.K. that I offer this alternate but ambitious presentation with some reservations, as it's just with the published jpg and not the original file and can't really express the full potential of the picture.

Stairs_ak.jpg

Michel Nagel: Stairs

Edited for tonalities AK

I hope this still is within bounds of your intent! There's no longer the impression of blasting overhead light, washing everything away, but that could have been your careful plan and perfect execution and then i'm totally on the wrong track!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Sandrine - I like the subtlety of your approach.

Asher - it is funny, but I had the same thought while posting. I think that I was still under impression of the bright light when I did the post processing that day, so this version did not come to my mind.
I was aiming for the geometry and the surface of the front part of the steps that day.

Best regards,
Michael