• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Discovering Gems hiding within your larger picture!

Rachel Foster

This colored picture taken by Rachel foster in 2009, was a snap. The tough thing, as Ken Tanaka pointed out, is to get geometry, mood and people all working together in such a photograph that so many of us fail in. I rediscovered this picture today as there were new post in the original thread. ADK

I only got a few shots while in Chicago. It's such a tremendous city that that's a shame, but on the other hand, family time is priceless. The big story in Chicago (photo-wise) was the weather. It will take me awhile to determine how I feel about these shots, but the only two with any promise are these (and I am not sure if there is much promise to them!).

smchi1a.jpg

Rachel Ann Foster: Chicago1

Within the large original image, I see another simple one which others might find as impressive. Meanwhile, what are your own discoveries in your own work?

I'll post it shortly! ADK

Last edited by a moderator:
This photograph comes from a new post today by Cedric and has within it a remarkable composition. First the original post:

Inner a car cleaning station...

45866a0c4297012f5be95d287c17fcb.jpg

Then the portion that gives a possible new meaning

Car Wash_ADK crop.jpg

Cedric Massoulier: Age-Lavage

For the only-Engish-speaking "Lavage' means wash. This find to me was exciting and I had to share it. Thanks Cedric for being sportive and allowing me to make this cut! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A small image portion can describe a large complex idea, surprisingly well!

This colored picture taken by Rachel foster in 2009, was a snap. The tough thing, as Ken Tanaka pointed out, is to get geometry, mood and people all working together in such a photograph that so many of us fail in. I rediscovered this picture today as there were new post in the original thread. ADK

I only got a few shots while in Chicago. It's such a tremendous city that that's a shame, but on the other hand, family time is priceless. The big story in Chicago (photo-wise) was the weather. It will take me awhile to determine how I feel about these shots, but the only two with any promise are these (and I am not sure if there is much promise to them!).

smchi1a.jpg

Within the large original image, I see another simple one which others might find as impressive. Another Glimpse: allowing one to imagine the Street Below: Empty at Dawn or bustling at noon! ADK

Chicago color art in art_ADK.jpg

Rachel foster Just a Glimpse of Chicago
Picture found inside the original, with permission,ADK:

So this is what surprised my about Rachel's snap of a foggy morning in a street in Chicago when there was no time for contemplative photography. I propose that one can go for a stroll in one's own picture collection and move around finding the hidden treasures that were always there, after all, that's what the best photographers do walking around the countryside or in the city streets. Except, now we can use leisure to pay attention to things we had no time for.

Meanwhile, what are your discoveries can you make in your own work? Take out those old shoe boxes and envelopes. Boot up those forgotten drives. What's in there that you have overlooked!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Near the left edge of this frame:

p924181585-4.jpg

...is a small dog laying flat on his back with all four legs straight in the air, like a stuffed toy.

123084525.jpg

I did not see this until I needed to use this 2008 image recently.

Asher Kelman

;94891 said:
Near the left edge of this frame:

p924181585-4.jpg

...is a small dog laying flat on his back with all four legs straight in the air, like a stuffed toy.
I did not see this until I needed to use this 2008 image recently.

123084525.jpg

Ken Tanaka: Discovered Picture

Ken,

This tiny portion of the image supports my contention that today, with excellent monitors, we have a second chance when we arrive home. Of course, this always raised the argument that where's your "intent" in this work? My answer would be the same as finding that small upturned rag-doll dog through a 400 mm lens and feeling great about my sharp eye. Intent can begin at any time. The thing however, is to be able to find parts that fit into some body of work. I believe that can naturally come out of the choices one makes of what's worth valuing. Still it's a dilemma finding these treasures, like having to pick up unusual shells, rocks and small but intriguingly complex weather-carved pieces of bleached driftwood on the sea shore.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I absolutely love Michaelangelo Antonioni' 1966 film, "Blowup". David Hemmings found a murder in-progress in his image. I found an ankle-biter giving himself a backrub in the cool autumn afternoon sun. Shrug.
Ken,

That film made a serious impression on me. It probably led to me being interested more in science than in medicine enough to become a researcher for a good part of my life. The movie was so immediately impressive and demanding. I have often felt that lurking in people's pictures are lot's of hidden moments we too might be shocked to find. Still, for all the pictures I've examined, to date, no murders!

Asher