• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Kerr

I don't even know the right term to use for this, but on almost all Web sites I access with my browser, there is apparently some little "icon" that is captured and appears, for example, next to the URL listing in my Bookmarks (and next to the URL in the "address field"). We call it "the bug".

(I don't even know how to do that, so for my Web sites, the browser puts in its own logo! Well, actually it puts in the logo for the browser I used to use!)

I note that this site doesn't cause such an icon to be captured. (And my browser doesn't put its own icon in, either - it put in a generic "page" icon - so obviously I don't understand everything I know about this!)

And maybe you haven't even designed a logo for the site that could be used. But when you do, it might be nice to include it.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
It is called 'favicon', is a simple bitmap with the suffix ICO and the name Favicon, making the whole file be Favicon.ICO. The Webmaster puts it into the root directory of the site's server, right beside Index.HTM[L] and every browser will show it, sometimes use it in its bookmarks/favourites list.

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Dierk,

Thanks so much. Now I can make me one, and one for Carla's Red Hat Society chapter site!!

How big should it be (pixel dimensions)?

Best regards,

Doug

Dierk Haasis said:
Let your favicon create automatically:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

And before I start to paraphrase other sources, here's a comprehensive one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Hi Dierk,

This aroused my curiosity, as it sounded pretty neat. I went to the first site, created a favicon.ico, and downloaded it to my computer. I unzipped the file, put the favicon.ico in the root director for my website, and per their instructions edited the index.html file to include, between <head> and </head>:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

Unfortunately, the icon in my IE6 didn't change from the default one!

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks!

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Don,

I'm really new at this, but I believe that to make IE happy, one has to use a differetn syntax on the page. (So what's new!)

This is a good reference from I3C, the internet standards people:

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

I got it to work right on one of my sites, but not the other (both on the same server), and their code is essentially identical. I'm still reverse-engineering this!

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,
Doug Kerr said:
Hi, Don,

I'm really new at this, but I believe that to make IE happy, one has to use a differetn syntax on the page. (So what's new!)

This is a good reference from I3C, the internet standards people:

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

I got it to work right on one of my sites, but not the other (both on the same server), and their code is essentially identical. I'm still reverse-engineering this!

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I suspect you're right about there being a syntax problem here, but so far, I've been unable to find the magical combination of code that will work for me. I tried the suggestion at the link you provided, with a few different permutations and combinations, but no joy yet!

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Quoted from Wikipedia:

For optimal browser support, the following rules should be obeyed:
Include both of these element types (for reasons explained below under Standardization):
<link rel="icon" href="http://example.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://example.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
The link elements must be inside the head element (between <head> and </head>) in the HTML.
For XHTML, the link element must be empty (terminated by /> )

There's more hints, like IE understanding only ICO as a file format.

Since I use Opera as my default browser and very rarely have to fire up IE (only for MS Update) I cannot say what happens with IE. I faintly remember never having seen a favicon with IE 6.x.

Sorry.

D

Doug Kerr

A temporary favicon

Well, while the stylish design department is contemplating a logo for the forum, here's a favicon that will be more distinctive than the default one shown by the browsers.

Best regards,

Doug

Attachments

• favicon.jpg
    favicon.jpg
    651 bytes · Views: 244
D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Image not appearing!

That would be a great book title!

I'm not sure it is supposed to appear. It was sent as an attached file.

But I'm not sure exactly how that works on this board.

Maybe you're seing it and not realizing that's what it is. It is "just a brown square" (in Dierk's words).

Best regards,

Doug

Dierk Haasis

pro member
My comment wasn't meant derogatory, not 'just a' brown square - it is the default brown from this forum. When I wrote that, I wanted to point out that the brilliant, Zen-like idea of you was to use a simple brown square in the colours of the forum instead of something fancy.

It was a reassuring 'just' to Asher.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We take all suggestions and put them in the pot for any future rework of the interface. We have had great feedback!

After June 7th, we'll close this particular room," OPF, Look Feel and Vibe"! So any new ideas are welcome until then here and then afterwards from the front page.

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.