Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses

Mirrorless Pro-Class Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses Sony A7, A7R and similar high end cameras that can serve as the sole cameras on Pro-event assignments.

Old October 15th, 2016, 02:55 AM

Default A7rII now, is it late?

Hi all,

I am planning to buy Sony A7rII nowadays once i save the money, but is it late now as maybe soon Sony may announce a new A7r series? maybe A7rIII is nearby, maybe by end of this year or almost beginning of new year, so should i just wait a bit or just get A7rII regardless what new A7 model will come later, i want high mp Sony camera.

Wanted to go with A99ii but i have Canon lenses and no A-mount adapter from what i read, so my only option is A7rII or newer, not interested in Canon latest cameras with high mp to be honest.
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq Alhamrani View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to buy Sony A7rII nowadays once i save the money, but is it late now as maybe soon Sony may announce a new A7r series? maybe A7rIII is nearby, maybe by end of this year or almost beginning of new year, so should i just wait a bit or just get A7rII regardless what new A7 model will come later, i want high mp Sony camera.

Wanted to go with A99ii but i have Canon lenses and no A-mount adapter from what i read, so my only option is A7rII or newer, not interested in Canon latest cameras with high mp to be honest.
Tareq,

I don't think a Sony alpha series, A9 is going to appear before March of next year. The A7RII is such a great camera that you would be able to sell it at the first whiff of rumors of the actual appearance of the next version. Usually there is a 2-3 month gap between some camera site having a copy to review and general availability. That's when you can unload you previous camera as fast as you like! If you take $200 off your price, then you have used that camera for 6 months or more for just $10 a week or less!

I would consider once more the A99II, as it is a fabulous state of the art camera, (using the same sensor as the A7RII), with perhaps the fastest AF ever.

But if you are set on the Mirrorless A7series, as I am, the A7RII is a fabulous camera to which almost any lens can be adapted!

Just keep the box and accessories clean and in
Plastic ready for resale, "Mint, lightly used camera in a box"!

There is a better than even chance you won't want to ever sell it, anyway!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:26 AM

I beg to differ in my opinion.

The A7RII is surprisingly expensive, even more than the A7R was at the time of its presentation. On the other hand, other full frame cameras have seen their price drop regularly in the past decade. Therefore, it seems that Sony (and other camera manufacturers) have decided at the end of last year to stop competing on price and that their top camera will be sold at a premium price. Interestingly, there seem to be some price fixing going around, as discounters do not list these particular cameras on the Internet.

Sony also reduced the price of the A7R by 30-40% when the A7RII was presented. They do that on their premium camera lines: the RX-10 and RX-100 or A6000, for example.

I am simply expecting the A7RIII to be announced and I will get the A7RII when its price will have dropped 30-40%.
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:12 PM

The problem when the A7RIII will be announced and i didn't get that A7rII yet then i will think about A7RIII no doubt and i won't go with A7RII even if it is very cheap.
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The problem when the A7RIII will be announced and i didn't get that A7rII yet then i will think about A7RIII no doubt and i won't go with A7RII even if it is very cheap.
Consider Tarek,

What do you need the camera for? I can manage with a Canon 6D while I am waiting and thinking about things. My son has my A7R and if need be I can use it.

What kind of photography do you do, anyway, that needs even 40MP?

Most photography can be done perfectly well with almost any make of camera from 16MP to 24 MP and for most of us, even the A7R is overkill.

If the A7RIII has 80 plus MP, then the files are going to consume an enormous amount of hard drive space! for what purpose. Unless you are making massive art pictures to be seen up close or photographing $50,000 dollar paintings or watches, such resolution is often redundant.

I want to make very large detail rich full length portraits, and I think I can justify the extra resolution. But frankly, the A7R files are pretty competitive with Phase One 80 MP files in my experience. Of course, there is actually more provable resolution in the hair looked at 6" from the print, but this is not of practical importance, at least for most of us.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Consider Tarek,

What do you need the camera for? I can manage with a Canon 6D while I am waiting and thinking about things. My son has my A7R and if need be I can use it.

What kind of photography do you do, anyway, that needs even 40MP?

Most photography can be done perfectly well with almost any make of camera from 16MP to 24 MP and for most of us, even the A7R is overkill.

If the A7RIII has 80 plus MP, then the files are going to consume an enormous amount of hard drive space! for what purpose. Unless you are making massive art pictures to be seen up close or photographing $50,000 dollar paintings or watches, such resolution is often redundant.

I want to make very large detail rich full length portraits, and I think I can justify the extra resolution. But frankly, the A7R files are pretty competitive with Phase One 80 MP files in my experience. Of course, there is actually more provable resolution in the hair looked at 6" from the print, but this is not of practical importance, at least for most of us.

Asher
Honestly, this is no meaning because there are many using many new cameras that have high mp such as 5DsR and D810 and A7r and many converted to A7RII from A7r or went directly to A7rII, so i will never accept someone telling me not go with high end high mp or latest when many others doing it, so if you are telling me this then why others having those kind of cameras? i saw and read their points, there is no reason for them to have it, it is only they want it, show off, or they have budget, so it is not about NEED at all, and i am not thinking or talking about NEED at all.

Funny someone using 5D3 or 6D and then getting A7rII or 5DsR or 5D4 and saying WOW it is a big improvement? in what exactly if you are saying going higher mp isn't necessary or somehow overkill or pointless if not using it for what it is for?

And big files isn't a problem for me at all, i am used to huge files long time ago and i have drives, so this is not an issue for me.
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Obviously, any new camera will have some additional capabilities.

The question, however, is whether you will benefit from them. I don't think I will.

Let me explain my reasoning. I decided against the A7R (first version). Sure, the camera is good, but:
-the resolution is not sufficiently higher than the one of the camera I have to make a noticeable difference
-it lacks in body stabilisation, which I need
-the shutter-induced vibrations are a problem.

The A7RII corrects all these problems, which are relevant to me, so I am interested. But the price is high and I can wait. I have other cameras to use in the mean time.

How could the A7RIII be improved? It could have:
-even higher resolution (although that is unlikely), I don't think that will be relevant because of lens limitation
-faster AF with more points... I don't need that (remember: this is about me, you may have different needs)
-better 4K video... I don't need that
-improved ergonomics, improved viewfinder... maybe, I would need to try

Therefore, my guess at present is that the A7RIII is unlikely to interest me. So I can wait and grab the A7RII for cheap. Obviously, you may have different needs and maybe waiting is not so great for you. Just as obviously, predicting the future is noticeably difficult and maybe the A7RIII will have capabilities I did not imagine and be of interest to me. In which case, I made the wrong choice. That's life.
Old October 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM

That is why i asked if i get A7rII these days it isn't any late if Sony suddenly announce about a new camera in A7 line mostly A7r line, i feel Sony trying to invade the market with many different models so they can cover more market or different shooters, it is like they are trying to force people about Sony models so they think more about Sony and slightly forget about Canon and Nikon, so i feel sad if i go with A7rII now or soon then in less than 1 year they announce about A7rIII or similar camera that is higher than A7RII [more mp, maybe better 4K, could be better high ISO, i am sure also better AF], all these are definitely things many are looking for.
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
That is why i asked if i get A7rII these days it isn't any late if Sony suddenly announce about a new camera in A7 line mostly A7r line, i feel Sony trying to invade the market with many different models so they can cover more market or different shooters, it is like they are trying to force people about Sony models so they think more about Sony and slightly forget about Canon and Nikon, so i feel sad if i go with A7rII now or soon then in less than 1 year they announce about A7rIII or similar camera that is higher than A7RII [more mp, maybe better 4K, could be better high ISO, i am sure also better AF], all these are definitely things many are looking for.
Tareq,

The point Jerome made so well is the value or not of a camera to him. I feel exactly the same: I have no need for faster focus or for better video, but don't, of course object to them. However why pay a premium for what one does not need?

Tareq, I do not care that others can have a "better" camera than me, nor do I complain when a Rolls Royce or Lambergini goes by! I might admire that such a thing exists, but only want to buy what I get value from.

If it's so important to you not to be outclassed by temporarily having an A7RII when just then an A7RIII comes out, then you might be happier waiting!

For me, the highest quality of full length portraits viewed at 6-12 inches from the print is what I seek, but for the moment I rely on getting as near to that as humanly possible by optimizing my technic and using what I already own

However, I would love to have a finer camera, but as I am spending too much money and time on completing a public sculpture, (and only shooting 2-3 portraits a month), I am holding off. I would be delighted with the A7RII or the A99II and produce more finely finished prints with them, but my art would be no better, just better subject to scrutiny!

The question I have for you Fareq is "What do you need or want in a camera against which anyone can offer you advice as to whether to hold out for the A7RIII"?

Asher

Old October 15th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Ok, i think i just try to save as i am going with A7rII, if Sony is announcing about new camera could be A7rIII or let it be A8 for example that is an improvement to A7rII and i still saving then i may think about that, in all cases i have to wait to save money and sell some bodies first then i may think about either A7rII or newer camera.
Old October 15th, 2016, 03:40 PM

Enjoy the camera when you get it. I try to buy cameras "Refurbished". They often come with full warranties which can be extended for a modest fee.

I have never been disappointed! The cameras are likely just samples that were sent to dealers for teaching or opened for demonstrations!

Asher

Old October 15th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Enjoy the camera when you get it. I try to buy cameras "Refurbished". They often come with full warranties which can be extended for a modest fee.

I have never been disappointed! The cameras are likely just samples that were sent to dealers for teaching or opened for demonstrations!

Asher
Don't worry, i won't buy Refurbished, i always buy brand new cameras, the only non new cameras i bought are few film medium format cameras and one or 2 large formats.
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, i won't buy Refurbished, i always buy brand new cameras, the only non new cameras i bought are few film medium format cameras and one or 2 large formats.
Tareq,

I used to be filled with awe and satisfaction to open a brand new camera box and its assortment of included cards, manuals, quick start kits and vouchers. I felt so assured that I was getting the very best!

However, once I regularly rented cameras for special jobs, I realized that such awe is misplaced, as a camera is a camera! For me at least, I do not want to waste hard earned cash, so I look for excess that rental companies buy in bulk when a new camera first comes out or else "mint" copies just used as demos.

At least in the USA, working with B&H, Adorama, Best Buy and the like, I have never received a camera with any faults or that can't be returned!

So for those who also want their money to go further, don't be fearful of buying an open box with a great discount from a reputable dealer.

There is no shame in not getting a virgin camera!

Asher

Old October 16th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Tareq,

I used to be filled with awe and satisfaction to open a brand new camera box and its assortment of included cards, manuals, quick start kits and vouchers. I felt so assured that I was getting the very best!

However, once I regularly rented cameras for special jobs, I realized that such awe is misplaced, as a camera is a camera! For me at least, I do not want to waste hard earned cash, so I look for excess that rental companies buy in bulk when a new camera first comes out or else "mint" copies just used as demos.

At least in the USA, working with B&H, Adorama, Best Buy and the like, I have never received a camera with any faults or that can't be returned!

So for those who also want their money to go further, don't be fearful of buying an open box with a great discount from a reputable dealer.

There is no shame in not getting a virgin camera!

Asher
Good for you, here it is really a shame, rental is limited and mostly expensive, and honestly i have enough gear that i don't need to rent any more, but if a very new gear is there and i go to rent it it may cost me as the brand new if i keep renting it several times, and i know if i buy something it means i will use it for long time until the time to replace it or upgrade it, and i am not in this stage of replacing most of my gear with brand new of same brands but newer versions.
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Good for you, here it is really a shame, rental is limited and mostly expensive, and honestly i have enough gear that i don't need to rent any more, but if a very new gear is there and i go to rent it it may cost me as the brand new if i keep renting it several times, and i know if i buy something it means i will use it for long time until the time to replace it or upgrade it, and i am not in this stage of replacing most of my gear with brand new of same brands but newer versions.
We are spoilt! Rentals are very economical in the USA. It turns out that I might need lights, for example, but I don't want to take them out of my studio for a shoot in a different location. I can have everything delivered from the rental house and even picked up when I am finished!

I understand that in other places, the camara prices have been jacked up because the market is smaller and those who purchase might have more money.

Even Europe, folk might have to pay 50% more for the same camera!

.......and then there are taxes like VAT which are exorbitant!

Asher

Old October 16th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Even Europe, folk might have to pay 50% more for the same camera!
As far as I know and when taxes are excluded, the price of cameras in Europe and in the USA are actually often quite similar.

Quote:
.......and then there are taxes like VAT which are exorbitant!
About 20% in most countries for photographic equipment.
Old February 17th, 2017, 02:37 PM

I bought an a7rII used. The retailer has a good return policy in case of problems. The camera has been fine.
Old February 17th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Herr View Post
I bought an a7rII used. The retailer has a good return policy in case of problems. The camera has been fine.
What about the Sony A series camera with the same sensor?

Asher