Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old February 14th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Default Silhouette

Sesimbra is just a few kilometers away from Setúbal. A small group of people decided to join and make a group of amateur photographers.
I was invited to pass by and walk with them for a challenge: pictures from the village.
And so I did.
Here is one of an hour's walk.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:46 AM

Yes, Antonio, this is how monochrome works!
An extraordinary artwork!
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:56 AM

A very cool piece of artwork.

-------
Old February 14th, 2017, 08:49 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Sesimbra is just a few kilometers away from Setúbal. A small group of people decided to join and make a group of amateur photographers.
I was invited to pass by and walk with them for a challenge: pictures from the village.
And so I did.
Here is one of an hour's walk.
Thinking out of the box!

A novel image. I like it.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Thank you all for the comments.
When I started this walk, other people - perhaps 5 - were doing the same. I wanted to make something different. Just for fun ! :) I kept looking up most of the time...
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:48 AM

Excellent, Antonio!
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Thank you Jarmo ! :)
Very easy indeed... :)
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Gorgeous work, Antonio.. so abstract and graphic! just beautiful!
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
Gorgeous work, Antonio.. so abstract and graphic! just beautiful!
Maggie,

Your words made me think of changing times, where words get new meanings daily in Presidential tweets!

Interesting about the need for context in understanding what folk say and what they mean. With Trump it's easy, just check if his lips are moving. If so, he's in a world of his own fabulosity!

But here you used the word "graphic" which can mean vulgar or suitable only for adults and then "abstract", meaning loose derivative of real in some imaginary form. I started to reflect on how we communicate using tools that can have very different functions, yet we generally do a great job in understanding intent.

Thank goodness that we are all well grounded, honest and treasure both the truth and limits of beauty. Thank goodness we're acutely aware of the dangers of "alternative facts" filling the void created in the mind of a President with a poor grasp of reality and the least education of any public figure we have known!

Thank goodness that we have two other branches of government in the USA so that idiocy cannot proceed without reaction and a free press that can at least let us know different views of what these fellows are doing.

Thanks goodness that other countries in the West understand our self-inflicted embarrassment and will be steadfast in pushing back at politics based on bloodlines and religious hatred!

Thanks especially to Canada, The U.K., Germany, France and Wikileaks for helping pushback on this evil when we did not do sufficiently ourselves!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Thank you all for the comments.
When I started this walk, other people - perhaps 5 - were doing the same. I wanted to make something different. Just for fun ! :) I kept looking up most of the time...
Antonio,

The freedom to examine our cities from novel viewpoints allows creative folk like you to show us something of ourselves that we never imagined.

Since you are so adept in taking detail portraits of the denizens of Setubal, each with intense personal truth and built in social bonds, it's a huge and surprising jump to have, as you offer us here, a skeletonized view of society with just the shapes of the silhouettes of houses but no life, pose or expressions from which to infer the life therein!

This picture has gone even further. Here we are stripped of even the scattered signs of our romance with telecommunications. The wires and antennae are now gone.

We are now down to the bare minimum.

When I stroll through your next exhibition, I will at least have the knowledge of the piers and boats of Setubal, your wonderful home and great cooking and warmth.

Others will be at a loss unless you also show both your portraits, the artisans in workshops and the fellow's rolling the bread.

Asher