• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

M8 Images worth looking at here in OPF!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What this thread means!

Some readers bookmark their own special places and may miss out on gems. So here's my favorite! We are developing a nice set of contributors to our M8 effort. This thread on M8 pictures, is a must see! First the pictures, themselves all have a special character. Also, the Mi8 camera is a revolutionary step for Leica, making available all the superb Leica lenses ever made as well as fine lenses from Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and Cosina/Voigtlander.

What impresses me is the quality of the work! Photographs here have inheritence from the fathers* of photography who shared two principal almost dogmatic guides, These seem simple and obvious but are so easily ignored with automatic everything today and if you allow me I'll restate these two themes:

1. Principle effort devoted to the starting process pays off in the print.

It means training oneself to see the whole scene and select from that, simplicity with one lens and imagination of the tonalities, textures and tension possible, so that a rich well exposed sampling of the light was made. Depending on this inititial effort, new substantial work with devotion to richness, impact and meaning was worthwhile.

2. Work is then needed to select the manner in which recorded light will appear in the presented photograph.

This took place in the intimate closeness of the darkroom, almost a temple of creativity, where the potential was transformed to a real print. This last part was always complex requiring technical skill, judgement and inspiration and the blessings of chance discovery.

I see this all here in different but related paths and it is such a wonderful thing. We're so proud to have you guys here and my only wish is more!

Let's thank the contributors for all this Lecia beauty!

Asher

* a word like "human", not meant to be sexist!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you have M8 photographs please post them. The camera is expensive and we would like to have more people knowing what this unusually versatile tool can do! I'll post some of mine too!

Asher