• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New 1D flag ship?

no update now.
1dsIIn in PMA.
canon goes to mf next year at PMA or photokina.
why mf?
because the effect of beeing the "leader" in technology made tham as successfull as they are.
now it becomes difficult to hold this position in 35mm market. 22mp has very little sense with35mm lenses for normal purposes.

what mf they will bring?
33mp.
similar reflex body as mamiya, but with canon experience, which is by far bigger.
completely new lense setup with new mf mount.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rainer Viertlböck said:
no update now.
1dsIIn in PMA.
canon goes to mf next year at PMA or photokina.
why mf?
because the effect of beeing the "leader" in technology made tham as successfull as they are.
now it becomes difficult to hold this position in 35mm market. 22mp has very little sense with35mm lenses for normal purposes.

what mf they will bring?
33mp.
similar reflex body as mamiya, but with canon experience, which is by far bigger.
completely new lense setup with new mf mount.

Hi Rainer,

Appreciate your input (and your update on the Sinar system).

I think you may be on the mark in predictng MF at 33MP for Canon.

However, there's more to squeeze out of the 35 mm system right now.

The wide angle lenses, to be sure are restrictions in benefitting from 22MP, perhaps, but the telelephoto lenses are still fine.

Also, Canon knows that people will use other lenses if that bothers them! They have just put out the Canon 50mm 1.2!

For now, a 22 MP flagshop pressures the MF world at a price point of about $7500 where the struggling MF MFRS are vulnerable.

It is not a lot of work for Canon, as they make the CMOS chips themselves.

Furthermore, I can see a 3 layer Foveon type CMOS sensor following a 22MP Bayer sensor we now have.

I expect a 22MP 1D flagship soon, and for sure by Spring 2007.

I would not be surprised if you get to hold one in November or December!

Asher

ChrisDauer

Asher Kelman said:
What do you think?
I think it will be outstanding. But even more so with a better lens from a higher-end lens producer (cz, schneider, senar, etc)

Asher Kelman said:
How large,
I'm expecting something in the 22-24 MP range.

Asher Kelman said:
Either tomorrow or March 2007.

I'm more concerned with lens performance though. Right now we are beginning to see sensors out-performing the lenses. I'd love to see canon start making lenses that keep up with the sensors. Otherwise, people will be forced to continue purchasing from other higher-end lens manufacturer.

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
You're all beaten!

We're now talking 160 Mb !
Seitz-6x17-handheld.jpg

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

Ray West

I just posted a response here - a message flashed on the screen, too quick for me to read, what is happening now???

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ray West said:
I just posted a response here - a message flashed on the screen, too quick for me to read, what is happening now???
I tried the integrated boggen light!
Sorry for your retina!

Ray West

And what you don't see is the trailer mounted 5kW diesel generator required to power it all. However I do like the hand grips, reminds me of those 'sprung chest expanders' of a few years back. Probably a thoughtful built in accesory, to tone your muscles to lift the thing. Of course, its ideal for street photography, no body would want to steal it, even if they could run fast enough carrying it.

At the other end of the scale, there is the tiny Japanese 'grain of rice' sized video camer. transmitter, battery etc, which patients swallow, it gives a view of the gut, etc, for medical purposes. Its retrieved later on, often the next day. The battery only allows one use, so they say, but would you want to be a second user??

Is it Ok to take the p*ss out of equipment?