• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spams etc…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
LoL

Just wanted to share this spam to you all… Could I hope to stop working soon?
But how can one believe in such junk mail?

De : info@iraq.com
Objet : Hello
Date : 15 novembre 2008 15:39:48 HNEC
À : undisclosed-recipients:;
Répondre à : sgtjr1@hotmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Pal,

I hope my email fine you well. I am in need of your assistance. My name is
Sgt. Jarvis Reeves. I am an American soldier serving in the 1st Armored
Division in Iraq, we have just been posted out of Iraq and to return in
a short while. My colleague and I need your help to transfer out the sum
of Twenty Five Mllion U.S Dollars ($25 MUSD). If you are interested I will
furnish you with more details

As awair your response.
Email:sgtjr1@hotmail.com

Yours Buddy,
Sgt. Jarvis Reeves

In God We Trust!!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

This is a clone of the Nigerian set of scams that populate the internet. They always ask for help in transferring masses of money. They usually either get some seed money to show "good intent", your bank number for the transfer and identitu info to steal your identity and buy stuff in your name delivered to them or simply vcuum away you money and credit.

I get 3 or so a week! Nigerian relative of a tribal chief or prince. Associate of Saddam Hussein, Saudi princess and so forth. All work on the same principal. They tug at one's heart and then work on our greed!

Here the soldier has the venerable USA senator Jarvis name!

Asher

Asher

nicolas claris

Of course I know dear Asher!
I receive this Nigerian Spam about 3 times a day! I ec ven received it by fax before Internet was developped!
But this one, involving a US Sergeant is really a scoop for me!

And look at the end:
In God We Trust!!!
LoL!

Mike Shimwell

I get lots suggesting that in God we trust, or in his name etc

I'm not sure why that's supposed to give me confidence in their good intent in stealing money to share with me...

Today I had one that purported to be on behalf of his boss, who had instructed him to send me 25m usd:)

Mike

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Oh my...does that mean that the 50 Million that I am set to inherit by the late,, late uncle of the Prime Minister of the nation of whatever because I loaned my new friends in Ghanda all my life savings to claim it will be lost? Oh woe is me.

Should be seeing a big drop in spam

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/12/AR2008111200658_pf.html

"The volume of junk e-mail sent worldwide dropped drastically today after a Web hosting firm identified by the computer security community as a major host of organizations allegedy engaged in spam activity was taken offline, according to security firms that monitor spam distribution online."

I've seen a big drop in most spam (went from an average of 800 filtered spams to 60 in our support inbox), but the 419 scams seem unaffected.

-Colleen

nicolas claris

Thanks Colleen
We also did have much much less spams and I was wondering if something went wrong in our email server!
However I wonder how long it will take for these spammers to set-up a new sever…

Searching some info about scams, I read in the French Wikipedia that saddenly their have been several murders (after victims trying to get their cash back):

Morts violentes

La fraude 4-1-9 a été à l’origine de plusieurs morts violentes :
En juin 1995, un Américain a ainsi été assassiné à Lagos, au Nigeria, après avoir tenté de récupérer son argent2.
En février 2003, un Tchèque a tué par balle un diplomate nigérian qu'il prenait pour un responsable de l'escroquerie3.
En janvier 2004, un Britannique s'est suicidé suite à une dépression provoquée par une escroquerie par scam4.
En décembre 2004, un Grec, victime de scam, a été kidnappé à Durban en Afrique du Sud. Une rançon a été demandée mais n'a pas été payée. Il a été mutilé puis assassiné.

Source

But switching to English version doesn't seem to have this info…