• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Happy Thanksgiving...

To those that celebrate it. I want no debates here, or discussions of the political correctness or the true history or origin of the holiday. That can all be done in a thread further down. I just want to celebrate it like I remember celebrating it while growing up and still nieve and innocent.
I am extremely thankful for all that me and my family have been blessed with. I am happy to just sit back today, help cook a wonderful meal with my wife, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, see Santa at the end, stuff myself with that wonderful turkey, watch the Dallas Cowboys whip the tar out of the Seattle Seahawks, eat pumpkin pie with whipped cream, watch another game with the Texas Longhorns destroying the Texas A&M Aggies, eat chocolate pistachio pie, and then roll myself into the bed for a long, wonderful night's sleep. That is my day in a nutshell. Football, food, and being truly thankful and greatful for what I am lucky enough to enjoy. I don't plan on worrying about anything, at least for this one day. That's the way I remember it being and that is what we are trying to relive.

I hope everyone else has a wonderful day and weekend whether you celebrate our holiday or not and that you too can stop for just a few minutes at least and be thankful for what you have been given.

James Newman

Rachel Foster

Y'know, I'm Native American/Euro American. It never would have occurred to me to try to ruin someone's holiday.

And I wish you a blessed day with your family. Seriously.

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

I hope everyone else has a wonderful day and weekend whether you celebrate our holiday or not and that you too can stop for just a few minutes at least and be thankful for what you have been given.

Thank you so much, and Carla and I wish a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ok fellow American friends

happy thanks givivng to all of you!

Now, let's get serious, what about some nice photographs of the roasted beasts and pumkin pies with cream?

We, poor Europeans and other non American, would love to share! :-D hmmmmmm I can nearly smell the oven hot flavor!

C'mon get out your bed;-) snap some ones! help us to celebrate with you :)

nicolas claris

Nap ain't snap!

It seems that you guys and gals did eat (and drink?) to much and couldn't even hold your camera!
Nap ain't snap!
Too bad ;-)

I am so sorry Nicolas but in my household at least, you are absolutely right. I have not so much as looked at a camera. Both hands were way too busy shoveling food into my mouth and using the TV remote control. I had to have some exercise afterall. This is the first 4 day weekend I have had in a long time and we are doing a great lot of absolutely nothing other than eating, playing games, and watching movie after movie. Compared to our normally hectic routine it was a real joy.
James

Doug Kerr

Hi,, Nicolas,

Now, let's get serious, what about some nice photographs of the roasted beasts and pumkin pies with cream?

I had vowed to send you some shots of our Thanksgiving dinner right after, but I somehow got distracted (fell asleep, maybe).

But here are a couple:

La grande dindon

Thanksgiving_F04591R.jpg

Table decoration:

Thanksgiving_F04611R.jpg

This young lady accompanied one of Carla's grandsons to the festivities.

An eating station:

Thanksgiving_F04606R.jpg

Here we see Carla's son (left) and brother at the food preparation (and now consumption) island.

Ordinarily Carla bakes a special pumpkin pie (two layers, with a cream filling), but this year she did two kinds of eggnog pies. I thought for sure I had pix of them, but I can't find them now. Sorry.

We had a full house for the occasion. Here we see the celebrants (except for moi) after dining, watching mortal combat on the gridiron (Dallas Cowboys vs. Seattle Seahawks - Dallas won):

Thanksgiving_F04615R.jpg

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

Thanks so much Doug!
It seems you had a great party at home! with quite a big family.

May I admit that I prefer the 2nd shot? After all the mustache guy is quite far from Bordeaux! LoL! just kidding of course ;-)

PS I guess the turquey (une dinde (the female, the dindon, the male or their kid a dindonneau) seems not to be roasted enough?!? (or roast enough????) but I'm really not a good cook!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Thanks so much Doug!
It seems you had a great party at home! with quite a big family.

May I admit that I prefer the 2nd shot? After all the mustache guy is quite far from Bordeaux! LoL! just kidding of course ;-)

Yes, that's Carla's son. He is 1/32 Cherokee Indian. He owns a company that combats insects, rodents, and so forth in homes and commercial establishments.

There were four generations of Carla's family there (but the youngest is more than 1/128 Cherokee owing to a "convergence" along the line).

PS I guess the turquey (une dinde (the female, the dindon, the male or their kid a dindonneau). . .

Yes, I had thought that, but got screwed up at the last minute.

. . . seems not to be roasted enough?!? (or roast enough????) but I'm really not a good cook!

"Roasted" is quite correct.

These turkeys look quite light when cooked an appropriate amount. (Probably one of those genetically-engineered things.) The meat is very tender and flavorful. Notice the little red and white indicator on the upper right. The red stem pops out when the internal temperature is the normal "target" value.

If I had the presence of mind to put a Colorright MAX into the shot, I could have easily beautified him.

Perhaps in the next version, Drew can add two more sectors, dinde and dindon.

Carla's daughter actually cooked that one. She lives about 18 miles from here - that is she in the group shot, 4th from the left ("32" - for a favorite football player).

Best regards,

Doug

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Dindon or ...

There were no restaurants in Paris that I could find a Thanksgiving meal of Dindon. We were able to find a Magret (Duck) that was translated as a goose with Cranberries at the Galleries Layfayette Restaurant - quite delicious but not Thanksgiving at all. On the way home from the airport, we stopped and picked up une Dinde to roast tomorrow. I learned to make gravy (sauce) at a Cordon Bleu cooking programme with wine. I will try to take some pictures among unpacking.

There's no place like home,Toto.

nicolas claris

Thanks Doug for all these explanations!

AFAIR, Thinksgiving has a lot to to with the Indians though I'm not sure that Cherokees (what a beautiful name BTW!) were involved in the original source of the celebration…

Beside what a LoL, yes Drew definitively need to sale a special "Turkey Thanks giving Colorright MAX"!

nicolas claris

There were no restaurants in Paris that I could find a Thanksgiving meal of Dindon. We were able to find a Magret (Duck) that was translated as a goose with Cranberries at the Galleries Layfayette Restaurant - quite delicious but not Thanksgiving at all. On the way home from the airport, we stopped and picked up une Dinde to roast tomorrow. I learned to make gravy (sauce) at a Cordon Bleu cooking programme with wine. I will try to take some pictures among unpacking.

Oh Kathy!
I guess you did not have a computer nearby with Internet access, because if you Google "restaurant américains paris" you would have found plenty American restaurant in Paris! And surely some of them did roast some Dindes!

There's no place like home,Toto.
But every place is a home for someone… ;-)

Seriously, I could live without "baguettes" and "steack frites" in NYC, SF, Roma, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville (!), Amsterdam, Sydney, Auckland, Singapore and so many other places… (sorry for other missing continents, I haven't travelled ALL the World… yet…) ;-)

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Search

Truthfully, we did not search hard for our Turkey dinner - we can have that at home. When you travel, the best experiences are eating the food of local custom! I will not forget the French Onion Soup at the Musee d'Orsay, the assortment of food we picked up at the Galleries Layfayette Marche, or lunch at Fouchon. And the baguettes are just not the same here. I can still smell the butter from the pattisserie in the Metro.