• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Look what I won for $123.50 !

0132_1.JPG

1d72_1.JPG

I want to get some 35mm film in to this rangefinder and see what I can do in my kids scool's pool. the light is fantastic there since it is indoors but with half the sealing opened to the sun.

The camera comes with an submarine strobe that may be TTL ! this model (the last rangefinder from NIKON) has A for Auto Speed setting and knobs for setting the focus by numbers. I could latter get a 20mm, or a 28mm...

any experiences with the NIKONOS?

This is what the seller said:

Used 35mm underwater camera brand Nikon Nikonos-V. Comes with 35mm f/2.5 lens, eggshell carry case, ikelite strobe handle and mount and miscellaneous other things that I have no idea what they are. There is no warranty with this camera, I was told it worked byt that it needs sight adjustment. Comes with "The Underwater Photographers Handbook". Buyer to pay shipping via UPS or USPS. Weight of item is 16# plus packaging, insurance required and paid by buyer.

John Angulat

pro member
Holy swim-fins Batman!

That's a keeper! I'm sure you will have fun with it. I had II model back in the early 70's. The IV model, if I remember correctly came out in the mid-80's. It's quirky, to say the least. Focusing is weird but you'll get the hang of it. Important point - check the seal/o-rings. They tend to dry out. You can find them on e-bay for around 15 bucks.
Enjoy!....and let's see some pictures!

Here's a link for some info: http://photo.net/learn/underwater/uw2/Nikonos.html

Yes, it is as retro as myself LOL, I can't believe how cheap it is considering that it has a strobe. It is a working rage finder with interchangeable lenses.

I'm thinking about the operational "problems", and that could be exposure, but with auto speed setting, or "A" and a TTL strobe, there should be no problem exposing cPrint, I suppose. Then there is the problem of focusing, but as you say, just doing some tests and getting used to it...

I don't understand why Nikon doesn't do a digital version of this camera, it would be so relatively easy now since it could have a AF zoom with P,M,S,A ...

I will post images as soon as I get in the water wit it...

My idea is to see if I can soot for stock, do you think it can produce images that good?

Asher, I don't need a manual... There is no "menu A,B, or C for shooting and degrees of sharpening, light balance formulas or RAW+jpg etc. just put the film, close the door and shoot.

I would have to get the o-rings and the jelly... and teach myself how to focus calculating distances.

The other challenge is to see w/no glasses on... and to find locations to use it...

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Have no fear!

Your challenges are not as difficult as you might imagine! Since your usable, shootable distance underwater isn't that great take along a cheap plastic tape measure. I'm serious. I used one all the time and it helped considerably.
As for your vision, just Google "prescription scuba masks". There are a number of on-line retailers offering vision corrected glass.
As for shooting for stock, I'm envisioning you hunched over your fish tank, head and camera submerged trying to coax a clown fish into a seductive pose! LOL!
Happy swimming!

I'm not so interested in the fish but on the human scene, kids in a pool, people on the beach, etc... or rain photography, going out with the submarine strobe ... or ... the thing will sit in a drawer never to be used after the first test shoot (like my baby GRAFLEX) ...

that could be a good topic for thread...

EQUIPMENT YOU GET AND DON'T USE...

A Nikonos, what a classic!

I shot a couple of rolls with a Sea & Sea II with external flash, 20mm wide and macro. The number of successful shots was limited, but the good ones were really nice. Decided to get an underwater housing for my digital compact after. Works so much easier and, for compacts, they are hardly expensive anymore. Of course digital compacts do video of the kids as well.

For the Nikonos check the seals before every dive, just only a little grease on the seals. And a "bubble check" directly after taking it under. If air is coming out, water is seeping in .. What is usually also not in the books is that if the camera between submersions heats up considerably moist may be drawn in on consecutive "dives" because of the temperature drop only. So, preferable shoot a full film in one go. Believe me digital is cheaper very quickly .. but I had fun with the Sea & Sea too!

Enjoy the new tool/toy !

Martin

Can you imagine, no LCD screan at all, and no AF, that on top of all the other UW requirements -thank you for the tips, ty the way- I read the pdf manual and there are a few things to get used to, like difference in dry and UW distance !

I think that if I get a few keeper slides this could be a good project, after all I can't take my D300 to where a Nikonos goes.

From what I saw in the manual this camera reminds me of one of my first working bodies, a Nikon FM, the film winder, the "A" as the gratest advancement in photography, 1/90 of a second as mechanical "back up"

I wish I had a 28mm or 20mm, but don't know if the project will got that far... probably until Nikon brings this camera in to the digital era...