• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Coconut as a tool!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Indeed! The crow videos that follow are also interesting.
Winston,

These videos are a window to the fact that there's so much wisdom in nature. Its quite amazing how we have been brought up to think of just man making tools. When it was reported repeatedly how apes use sticks as tools, that was considered as an exception. Here in that video, the invertebrate octopus is able to figure out how to make use of abandoned coconut shells. Now perhaps this is not rational thought, but hard wire to take advantage of abandoned shells to protect itself from predators. Still it's impressive!

... and funny!

Ashert

Wendy Thurman

These guys are pretty bright- they've figured out how to unscrew the lid off a jar and are accomplished escape artists. I've got a dive/photography trip planned for Indonesia in April and I understand the area I'll be visiting has many different varieties of octopi.

Wendy