• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Happy carry to the tens' place

Doug Kerr

A little over 70 years ago, a four-year old boy, visiting his grandparents for a few weeks in the summer, sat at their breakfast table with his step-grandfather, pointed to the year in large type on a calendar hanging on the wall, and said, "You know, Grandpa, this number (pointing to the tens digit) was '3' last year, and I think the year before, but now it's '4'." Grandpa nodded.

Thus was the wonder of n-ary numbering systems, and the concept of carry to higher places, first recognized by that young mind.

It's why, for example, our society thankfully decided to conclude that the current calendar millennium would begin in the year 2000 CE, not 2001 (despite pleas from those who wanted to make something of the fact that there was no "year 0"). The fact was that we had for a long time identified decades by the tens digit of the year (nobody wanted to think that the "40's" began in 1941, and thus included all of 1950!), and centuries by the hundreds digit, and there was no reason to do otherwise for a millennium.

A little while later, that same fellow began to contemplate the fact that the thousands digit would not change until he was 63, and wondered if he would still be alive at that unimaginable future time. But in fact he saw that carry happen, and will (God willing) see tonight's "carry to the tens' place".

So for all those who observe (or at least note) the Common Era calendar, Carla and I wish you the very best as both the units and tens digits of the year change. And for all, regardless of your calendraic persuasion, we wish the very best at each tick of the clock (you are free to choose your own resolution).

So for all those who observe (or at least note) the Common Era calendar, Carla and I wish you the very best as both the units and tens digits of the year change. And for all, regardless of your calendraic persuasion, we wish the very best at each tick of the clock (you are free to choose your own resolution).

Hi Doug,

A happy new year to both you and Carla.

The same wishes to all other OPFers and their family!

Cheers, and be safe (should you value your 10 (!) digits...),
Bart

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,
A very Happy New Year to both you and Carla.
May it be filled with joy and happiness!

Thank you for all you have taught me this past year!

Ruben Alfu

December 31st, 2009, 4:10PM in Panama City. This is officially my last post for the year 2009.
Doug and all OPF friends, may the new year bring you all happiness and fulfillment and a Phase One 645DF.

Cheers!

Ruben