• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canned.....

ErikJonas

Banned
I dont know if its like this every where but here in America we recycle cans...Pop and beer cans. And you can get money for them...

Well i decided just recently since i'm out shooting so much to start picking them up as they are every where...You see we have a fair amount of pigs here that just throw things out the window as they drive down the road.....

I can get 35 cents a pound for cans. Thats about the cost of a 5 by 7 print which i sell for $11.00 In one day in just over a hour i picked up 13 pounds of cans. Its kind of become a challenge though...I am seeing just how many i can pick up...

The one thing this does though is i stop on the side of the road to walk it and pick up cans and in doing so i am seeing shots that i would not of seen just driving down the road. So it has that benefit too. The money from the cans will go to building up my 5 by 7s, its cleaning things up a small bit and as i said i am seeing shots i'd of other wise not have seen.

Even if i only picked up cans when i stopped to shoot i'd still end up with a fair amount of them. I'd think litter would not be as ba in many other countries.....In this case its putting money in my pocket with minimal effort...Money in your pocket is never a bad thing...

Cem_Usakligil

I dont know if its like this every where but here in America we recycle cans...Pop and beer cans. And you can get money for them...

Well i decided just recently since i'm out shooting so much to start picking them up as they are every where...You see we have a fair amount of pigs here that just throw things out the window as they drive down the road.....

I can get 35 cents a pound for cans. Thats about the cost of a 5 by 7 print which i sell for $11.00 In one day in just over a hour i picked up 13 pounds of cans. Its kind of become a challenge though...I am seeing just how many i can pick up...

The one thing this does though is i stop on the side of the road to walk it and pick up cans and in doing so i am seeing shots that i would not of seen just driving down the road. So it has that benefit too. The money from the cans will go to building up my 5 by 7s, its cleaning things up a small bit and as i said i am seeing shots i'd of other wise not have seen.

Even if i only picked up cans when i stopped to shoot i'd still end up with a fair amount of them. I'd think litter would not be as ba in many other countries.....In this case its putting money in my pocket with minimal effort...Money in your pocket is never a bad thing...
Hi Erik,

13 pounds times $ 0.35 makes an hourly rate of $ 4.55. This is not taking the fuel costs of your vehicle into account. I appreciate the idea that "money in the pocket is never a bad thing" but this seems to be an incredibly inefficient way of earning money. Don't you think?

Cheers,

Hi Erik,

13 pounds times $ 0.35 makes an hourly rate of $ 4.55. This is not taking the fuel costs of your vehicle into account. I appreciate the idea that "money in the pocket is never a bad thing" but this seems to be an incredibly inefficient way of earning money. Don't you think?

Hi Cem,

I agree it's not much as regular pay, but it is a bonus as one is scouting for a shot. Besides it helps clean up some of the mess.

Cheers,
Bart

I keep a bin in the back of my truck. Whenever I stop along the road to do whatever, I usually police the immediate area for trash. If near water, I also keep a sharp eye out for snarls of fishing line as it is particularly deadly to unwary wildlife.

ErikJonas

Banned
Correct Bart....I have to be there anyway out an about to get images. So many times i have walked by a good number of cans.Its a minimal amount of time to pick them up. Plus as i said it adds shots i'd of other wise not seen.

Cem =) ....I'm not looking to get rich but i'm right there. Might as well pick them up. Right now with cans i have picked up and just from what i have at home and some from a neighbor who drinks a fair amount i have about 90 pounds.

Winston I dont go to the extent of picking up all trash but might expand to glass bottles as glass while you dont get paid for it is recyclable.I dont have a truck i have a Subaru wagon and dont want it getting too trashed....(pun intended =P )

StuartRae

Hi Erik,

Good on you for picking up at least some of the trash. Even if you don't get rich at least you may save the lives of some small animals.

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Correct Bart....I have to be there anyway out an about to get images. So many times i have walked by a good number of cans.Its a minimal amount of time to pick them up. Plus as i said it adds shots i'd of other wise not seen.

Cem =) ....I'm not looking to get rich but i'm right there. Might as well pick them up. Right now with cans i have picked up and just from what i have at home and some from a neighbor who drinks a fair amount i have about 90 pounds.

Winston I dont go to the extent of picking up all trash but might expand to glass bottles as glass while you dont get paid for it is recyclable.I dont have a truck i have a Subaru wagon and dont want it getting too trashed....(pun intended =P )
Hi Erik,

Seen in this context you've described, it makes much better sense to me now so please ignore my previous comments. :)

Cheers,

ErikJonas

Banned
Cem no worries.... =) However i must correct one thing....Its 32 cans to make a pound. So i dont have as much as i thought. But no worries its not like i'm doing this to put food on the table...

It was on the news however one couple is saving cans to pay for their wedding...See i'm just doing it for a few pictures lol maybe i should be saving for my next camera...lol...Today on the way home i stopped on a couple sections of road and picked up cans, got about 7 pounds.

Stuart thanks...We'll have to grab a beer some times, um long as i get to keep the cans that is =P