• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DXo 4.0 Beta - demo downloadable

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
http://www.dxo.com/fr/photo/beta/free_download
The title says it all, but for Windows only :-(
Does any of the Windows users have tried the demo yet? Alain Briot?
I'd like to get a feed back as the 3.5 version was not that bad, but aparently the 4 brings a lot of improvements...
Or should I give a try to Adobe Lightroom?

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Nicolas,

I bought the 3.5 version in April (just a bit to early too miss the free upgrade toV4). Since the UI in V3.5 is slow and hopeless for adjusting color I found a work around by exporting linear DNG to Silkypix or CS2. The development result for 350D RAW files is excellent from a shadow/highlight/local contrast point of view, in most cases the default settings is very close to what I want.
Right now I'm testing the V4 beta 2 that includes a PS plugin.
Short summary of my V4 beta2 findings:
- The lack of speed and quality for the display preview is the worst problem. Shifting picture, adjusting, zooming or panning the picture will make it pixelated and go away for a while. The display quality below 75% zoom isn't good enough IMO, it's kind of strange that a 3,2Ghz dual core Pentium with 2Gb ram can't produce a low resolution picture faster. Disabling all adjustment features makes the display update a little bit faster.
- The display is not colormanaged yet. (This will of course be fixed for the sharp version)
- The V4 has a full set of features for adjusting color and a number of rendition profiles and IMO you can get the color as you like it (but you have to fight the above two problem areas).
- The Beta 2 makes it possible to use a floating tool panel that gives you a better usage of the display area.
- The detail rendering is IMO the same as in 3.5. If you go 100% or larger the details are not as fine as in some other RAW converters but the impression of sharpness is very good when viewed at normal zoom level. (I don't know how to express this in a good way)

Verdict: Give this program RSP speed and you have a killer application !

BR/ Stefan Hellstrom