• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Battery charge adapter for Europe?

Daniel Schaefer

I am traveling to France and Italy next week, and was wondering with the 120 to 220 voltage difference, if I'll need more than just a plug adaptor, maybe some sort of alternative charger

I'm taking a Nikon d7000 with the new el-15 batteries

Cheers!

Daniel

I am traveling to France and Italy next week, and was wondering with the 120 to 220 voltage difference, if I'll need more than just a plug adaptor, maybe some sort of alternative charger

I'm taking a Nikon d7000 with the new el-15 batteries

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure what type of charger came with your camera. If it isn't a multiple voltage auto sensing version, you'll need either a European charger (220-240V 50Hz) and an adapter for the different wall outlet plugs. Maybe you can pick up a charger locally in Europe. Is the battery something generic or is it a custom model for the D7000?

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,
Even if you had mentioned what kind of charger you had (a hint here for future inquiries, until Asher opens a new mind-reading section), I'm sure I wouldn't be familiar with it.

It may in fact automatically accommodate a range of voltages/frequencies (perhaps 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz, as for my Canon charger). In that case all you will need is the appropriate plug adapter.

The kind with two parallel round pins will probably work in both France and Italy.

If not, but if the charger will in fact accommodate 50 Hz input (even if only perhaps 100-120 V), then a voltage converter would be a good choice, but it will need to be a transformer type (or at least one that indicates it is good for electronic equipment - not just for hair dryers!). Of course, it would need to have the appropriate plug as well.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

The voltage and frequency that your charger accepts will be indicated on it. All the models I have seen in Europe in the past 10 years are dual voltage, but it is possible that Nikon uses a 110V only version in the USA. If this is the case, your only solution is probably to buy another charger, but if the battery is a new model, a third party charger may be hard to find.