• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Music and Memories

StuartRae

I've just heard that Suze Rotolo, who appeared on the album cover of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, died of lung cancer on February 25th aged 67.

freewheeling.jpg

Freewheelin', side 2, track 1: Don't Think Twice, It's Alright.

Whenever I listen to that song I'm transported back to 1965. I can feel the chill of a foggy November night in Norwich, and the warmth of a girl called Frankie. I needed to find some words, but they wouldn't come, and I watched as Frankie walked away to catch her bus. I went back to the Students Union bar and got wasted on Draught Guiness.

Does anyone else have memories associated with songs?

Regards,

Stuart

Wendy Thurman

I recently read her book, A Freewheelin' Time which dealt with Bob, the Village, and the time. It was pretty interesting as were her interviews on the film No Direction Home. Funny you mention that song- I've been working on a fingerstyle arrangement of it.

Music- and the people involved in it- plays a very large part in my life. Lots and lots of memories associated with music, and many triggered simply by a song. My broken-hearted youth song of note would probably be Neil Young's Harvest.

Music is a very deep well. Very deep indeed.

Wendy

Hi.
Any song of Joy Division gives a memory to feed my brain... Mostly bad but not all of them.

I hear "heart and soul" and I'm back at 16.. ("Feeling that I'm almost 16 again")
There is mostly two movies for the ones who wants to know about Joy Division. One is called "control" and is directed by Anton Corbjin (yes, a photographer!) and it's very depressing, and focuses mostly on the singer which is a bit annoying.
The other one is called "24 hour party people", that I recommend...even if it's mostly non sense and concerns Joy Division just at the beginning.

For me it came at an age, when you take any relationship very seriously and the lyrics -even partly understood- had that appeal of "everything is lost without you". I don't recall my teenage days as nice and happy. You become gradually deceived by your friends and lovers. You start to understand what men really want. You burn yourself in the edge of society (where, to be honest, you're more likely to be deceived) and it will take you 20 more years to fully understand it's all vacuity.

But these songs were with me in the darkroom, they were with me with the OM1 and when I was in London to buy my FA at Antiques Camera Co. I used to mimic the rythmn of "Isolation" with the Nikon shutter release.... :)

Yes, I know it's from the late 70's/early 80's! Nothing to do with Bob Dylan. Learning one or two of his songs during English courses at school destroys everything :) . He means nothing to me...

Last edited:

Michael Nagel

I do not have any emotional ties to Bob Dylan's music.

The song which is present in my mind for the longest time is Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street. I was a child when I heard it first back in the late 70ies and it is with me since. Depending on my mood it is sometimes the sadness and sometimes the hope which has more weight.

There are other songs which are equally important, but none for such a long time.

Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

I've just heard that Suze Rotolo, who appeared on the album cover of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, died of lung cancer on February 25th aged 67.

I wasn't a follower of Bob Dylan, nor very aware of the milieu in which he operated, so the name Suze Rotolo wasn't even familiar to me.

But I looked at her biography on Wikipedia, and that is extremely interesting.

The author cites this passage from Dylan's memoir, Chronicles, Volume One:

"Right from the start I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She was the most erotic thing I’d ever seen. She was fair skinned and golden haired, full-blood Italian. The air was suddenly filled with banana leaves. We started talking and my head started to spin. Cupid’s arrow had whistled past my ears before, but this time it hit me in the heart and the weight of it dragged me overboard... Meeting her was like stepping into the tales of 1001 Arabian Nights. She had a smile that could light up a street full of people and was extremely lively, had a kind of voluptuousness - a Rodin sculpture come to life."​

A wonderful passage.

Whenever I listen to that song I'm transported back to 1965. I can feel the chill of a foggy November night in Norwich, and the warmth of a girl called Frankie. I needed to find some words, but they wouldn't come, and I watched as Frankie walked away to catch her bus. I went back to the Students Union bar and got wasted on Draught Guiness.

An equally wonderful passage, Stuart.

Does anyone else have memories associated with songs?

Many - I'll try and work up some anecdotes for here.

Thanks for introducing this rich topic.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Just two more memories and songs from the sixties.............

Spring 1967. I was at the birthday party of a girl called Denise - whether I was invited or I gate crashed I don't remember. The air was heavy with fragrant smoke and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands was playing. (Ignore the Japenese ad at the beginning - it only lasts a few seconds). I suddenly realised I was sitting next to the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Two years later I married her.
Here's a photo. It's a bit blurred, but then things were in the sixties.

denise_party.jpg

Summer 1967. It was the end of term and time to go home for three months. It was also time to say a temporary farewell to my beautiful girl. At the time my transport was a battered Mini Van with an old valve car radio in a cardboard box in the back. It didn't work too well, but as I turned a corner Simon and Garfunkel's 59th Bridge Street Song suddenly burst from it, loud and clear. "Slow down, you move too fast, you've gotta make the morning last".

StuartRae

A wonderful photo, a wonderful story, and a wonderful result.

Hi Doug,

Thanks. Yes, things panned out well for a while.
Unfortunately after nine wonderful years and two children I lost my 'beautiful girl' to pneumonia in 1978. I have no song for that.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

Thanks. Yes, things panned out well for a while.
Unfortunately after nine wonderful years and two children I lost my 'beautiful girl' to pneumonia in 1978. I have no song for that.
I am so sorry to learn of that.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

Please don't be sorry. I've got wonderful memories, two great children (aged 38 and 36 but they're still my kids!!), a beautiful grandson, no regets, a bluured photo and a massive hangover :)

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,
Please don't be sorry. I've got wonderful memories, two great children (aged 38 and 36 but they're still my kids!!), a beautiful grandson, no regets, a bluured photo and a massive hangover
Indeed. Life goes on and is wonderful.

Best regards,

Doug