• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Horizontals and Verticals..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Answer 3. The sentence is true for you, because you perceive the picture as missing people, but other photographers may nevertheless perceive the presence of people in the same capture.

But I understand your point. You prefer pictures which directly illustrate human activities.

Fahim and Marot,

This picture of mine comes from a thread with unique sunsets here.

Asher Kelman said:
Gates with barbed wire fascinate me!

_MG_2478-2 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sunset Behind Wire

Asher

If you come to the picture with any education, the objective and subjective interdigitate, wrestling with reality and our will to exist. There are indeed people there and they are screaming for attention and help. You can feel and experience that powerfully. This is not sterile! However there's no one actually there, on scene, breathing in air, but me! Still, after the fact, the photograph itself becomes populated with more and more voices. That's how pictures work when they transcend the immediately obvious.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I remember this image. Please see my comments in regard to this image; in that same thread.

Regards.

p.s I can't seem to locate my comments to your image Asher. Maybe it is my failing memory. Because
I do remember this as an emotionally powerful image.

Regards.

fahim mohammed

Answer 3. The sentence is true for you, because you perceive the picture as missing people, but other photographers may nevertheless perceive the presence of people in the same capture.

But I understand your point. You prefer pictures which directly illustrate human activities.

Jerome, I respect your point of view.

Kindest regards.

Jerome Marot

And I don't disagree with yours.

Asher, this is a very nice picture and very interesting thread. You won't mind if I add a picture of sunset to that thread, I suppose?

fahim mohammed

Fahim and Marot,

This picture of mine comes from a thread with unique sunsets here.

If you come to the picture with any education, the objective and subjective interdigitate, wrestling with reality and our will to exist. There are indeed people there and they are screaming for attention and help. You can feel and experience that powerfully. This is not sterile! However there's no one actually there, on scene, breathing in air, but me! Still, after the fact, the photograph itself becomes populated with more and more voices. That's how pictures work when they transcend the immediately obvious.

Asher

Yes Asher. Indeed there are people there. Screaming for help.

And you have answered the question yourself of how we know about this: " If you come to the picture with any education..."

But what if you don't have that education. That knowledge of history? The significance of the barbed wire and the structure exist in a context of history..a terrible history of the human race...
one has to know what, where, by whom, to whom, when, the name of the place you illustrate ( and by extension all places associated with that barbarity ). But if one does not know the history of this place? Even if one knows History, it might be difficult to put one and one together. To understand your emotions and that which you are trying to portray.

See my next post please.

fahim mohammed

This photograph taken by me, needs no education. No knowledge of history.

Without any words, spoken or written, without any indications to alert the viewer; the image I took is universal.

Take both images to the most underdeveloped, uneducated part of this planet. Show both photgraphs. Take any of the other image/s in this thread also for this. test.

I am prepared to state that the image taken by me shall convey its message.

The image that is given below is universal in that respect. Not so with the other images posted
in this thread. None are as unambiguous as mine.

It does not need anything else. It does not need to have its exposure corrected nor its horizontals or verticals.

p862242240-5.jpg

The above image stands on its own, unambious in what it represents. The others do not.

That's all I am trying to say.

fahim mohammed

Well, that is true. But it is not what you said in your first post.

Jerome, I do not know what you mean, or are tying to say.

Why don't you put in words what your point is, with reference to my posts.

What is it exactly that seems to bother you about what I have written in this thread?
Please explain it to me. So that I might respond accordingly.

Regards.