• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LED Flash

RoyVarley

FYI: http://www.sslighting.net/documents/view/cldoc.php?id=9836

Obviously the publicity blurb from Seoul Semiconductor and losing a bit in translation/technical knowledge - but the product is interesting!

I guess we'll see these in small consumer cameras very soon. Wonder how long to a pro grade product...?

You'd have to think that a LED product would have longer life, more consistent colour over its lifetime and generate less heat than its xenon counterpart - we'll see.

Ray West

I'm not too sure while still photographers, - I mean 'folk who take photographs', they often move, - use flash. Low power,input high intensity LED lighting has been around for quite a few years. I guess it needs the traditional camera/flash makers to market it, but they make too much out of the gear they sell now.

Best wishes,

Ray

There are some LED ringlights out there for macro and microscope photography, which is a convenient solution for focusing at small effective apertures.

Heat isn't particularly a problem for flash output, even with studio strobes, but it might be nice to have long-lasting, cool-running LED modeling lights instead of the quartz halogen lamps that are the current standard. It could also be handy to add LED modeling lamps to small camera-mounted flash units.

RoyVarley

Thinking about it, the LEDs in a LED flash unit could double as both a variable intensity modelling lamp and a high intensity flash - depends how you drive the LEDs.

David Sommars

Wow, I never thought about that...

the weight could be so low for these that you could rig up your own portable hot lights pretty easily using parts from radio shack. You could probably get 4 hours of light 4 different sources each putting out about 500 lumens individually from a car battery. and you could easily make modifiers and diffusers that wouldnt burn. Makes a case for continuous lighting which takes so much less time to setup (for me) then an array of strobes.

You could shoot everything you'd want with that setup, except 12 noon sun would be very hard to balance.