• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Latest Sub-MF Cameras 2018-2019: what features attract you most?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Everyone,

There’s a lot of established and brand new professional sub-MF gear.l available right now. These are exciting times. Let’s share what we can recommend about the latest offerings.

I’d love to hear any experience and opinions as to your recommended “best use” of the latest M4/3, Pentax 35mm, Fuji XT, Canon R, Nikon Z6 and Sony A6500 and A7RII and III.

I assume wedding, travel, landscape, City Architecture, Board Room and studio portraits and street photography are major needs. If you are skilled in bird photography and macro or sports, all the better!

Where do they excel and when if ever do they limit your best work?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I can respond for two of these cameras.

The Sony APS-C and full frame flagship cameras, (A650 and A7RII and III have 5 axis image stabilization and wide dynamic range making them ideal for adapting to vintage lenses of many makes. This allows, for example the use of a low priced but stellar AF Canon Eos 400mm mm L lens and gain 5 stops of stabilization!

Also Techart, now sells an $299 AF adapter for Leica mount lenses! Talk about amazing for those with a collection of vintagevor new Leica-mount manual focus glass!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Where do they excel and when if ever do they limit your best work?

I have a Sony A7RII. On purely technical matters, I don't see what I could ever need beyond it. Now, if Sony could design a menu system which would make sense, that would be a different matter.

I also have a Sony A900, 10 years old. It is still a quite competent camera today. I suppose other brands are the same.

Asher Kelman

I have a Sony A7RII. On purely technical matters, I don't see what I could ever need beyond it. Now, if Sony could design a menu system which would make sense, that would be a different matter.

I also have a Sony A900, 10 years old. It is still a quite competent camera today. I suppose other brands are the same.

I am on the beach in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I am about to steal my sons A7RIII. I will try the 24-105.

I am jealous of the wonderful bird pics, so I’ll try for a hawk. Trouble is it circles far out over the waves!

No street pictures.

The cartels promise not to kidnap tourists, if we stick to the resorts that they supply with drugs. Sounds reasonable forvan American but I am really British!

Still, my family dont want me taxiing around looking for genuine street life here!

Asher

Jerome Marot

The cartels promise not to kidnap tourists, if we stick to the resorts that they supply with drugs. Sounds reasonable for an American but I am really British!

That is simply not reasonable. What happened to you Asher? You want a silent camera to take pictures during prayers and now spend money to the drug cartels?

Asher Kelman

That is simply not reasonable. What happened to you Asher? You want a silent camera to take pictures during prayers and now spend money to the drug cartels?

I hate this place. Relaxing here for me, is hard work. I am far to serious for the pkacecand don’t beling here! There is no where to see a normal Mexican town as everything around here is catered to tourists. Palm trees every where, green tall plants either side of the roadway for the golf vmcarts that come within 5 minutes of beckoning and everyone in uniform greeting me as if I was their rich uncle, LOL.

Food is delicious waters are clean and fish and crabs in the tide pool and Hawks, I believe, patrolling overhead.

But it’s not for me.

Still I did succeed in getting pictures of the tide pools and birds and that is a respite for this out of place person!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome, using the Sony A7R III for tracking birds in flight, what are the settings whereby the exposure will match the focus point on the bird.

Asher

Last edited:

James Lemon

Jerome, using the Sony A7R III for tracking birds in flight, what are the settings whereby the exposure will match the focus point on the bird.

Asher

Asher

I don't know about Sony but the Fuji had something in the menu that had to be turned on and it would expose for the focused subject when using spot metering. However my Nikon automatically exposes the subject at the focus point when using spot metering.

For Sony - Camera Settings 1 (10/14) > Exposure 2 > Spot Metering Point > Focus Point Link
Awesome new feature that links Spot Metering Area to the focus point.

Camera Menu 1, Tab 10: Spot Metering Point: Focus Point Link

Best, regards
James

Asher Kelman

Thanks! James and Jerome!

Very helpful to have the focus point and exposure linked for birds in flight, or else the bird gets underexposed!

Asher