• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

waterfall

Andy brown

Mn3BxQS.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually Andy,

I’m great at being mesmerized by waterfalls, But, frankly, I must admit, that for me, actually framing a waterfall can be daunting!

They’re a huge puzzle with so many possible elements to include or exclude.

.........., for me, worse than having to use a stick-shift to drive my model T Ford or knowing which of 7 pairs of cutlery I’m supposed to use in a formal banquet in some posh English banquet!

So my custom now is to map out the entire area of the falls and all around them, with overlapping shots and when I get home I stitch and then decide!

What about you, Andy and anyone else, who admits that framing a waterfall can be damn hard to do perfectly on first visit to the location.

Does one include the whirlpool beyond where the water crashes? What about secondary falls and the snaking river below?

Do you freeze the action or use slow shutter speed and go for a creamy look?

I do both, LOL!

Asher

Andy brown

Yeah Asher, waterfalls are hard.
I think part of the difficulty lies in the fact that they are so all consuming in
person and therefore hard to do justice to. I quite enjoy the battle to create compositions with slightly abstract stuff.
Makes me look harder and see more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yeah Asher, waterfalls are hard.
I think part of the difficulty lies in the fact that they are so all consuming in
person and therefore hard to do justice to. I quite enjoy the battle to create compositions with slightly abstract stuff.
Makes me look harder and see more.

Exactly!

I am so happy to find another soul who feels the similar daunting arrays of hard choices.

Asher