• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Got SmugVault?

This is just in!
About 30 minutes ago popular photosharing site Smugmug (www.smugmug.com) launched a new initiative called SmugVault.
Backed by the same uber powerful Amazon S3 service, it extends already unlimited space offered to all SM customer for photo/video files by accepting ANY type of files. At this point the per-file size limit is set to 512Mb, but it very well may be raised in the future.

This feature doesn't come for free, but the charges are *very* reasonable, at least IMHO. Paying like $20..$40 (you pay only for what you use, plus $1/mo service fee) per year for a possibility to easily share RAW/PSD files makes total sense.

And the best thing? My Star*Explorer already supports it! :)
Simply add your favorite extensions to the "video" files list (I added .CR2, .XMP and .PSD) and hit upload - that's it!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nik,

That was a clever plug for your clever software, LOL! But Star*Explorer does not yet support the Mac! Maybe we should try it in emulation?

Asher

!LOL!
S*E support was an icing on the top:) Afterall, that's the only tool on SM-compatible software market that has a persistent queue, which becomes absolutely critical for such humungous files...

But seriously, SmugValut is a huge deal. Being able to upload RAWs, PDS, and any generic files (you prolly want to zip them first, however we're also looking into automatic zipping feature) is a killer feature!

As to the Macs. S*E runs fine on Mac machines over any decent virtualization software (Parallels, VMWare) and of course via dual-boot (BootCamp).
Also its next version will be in .NET/C#, so if Mono ever comes to a fruition, you'll have it that way...

Explain .NET/C# and "Mono".
Uhm...

.NET (pronounced "dot-net") is a mainstream development/run-time Microsoft framework. It provides certain isolation from "bare" underlying Windows API, common sharing point for multiple programming languages, etc.

C# (pronounced "see-sharp") is a C-like programming language for .NET, considered by many as a "primary" one in a sense that a C# programmer should be able to use ALL possible features of the .NET framework (some languages only provide a subset).

And finally, "Mono" is an open-source multi-vendor initiative to allow .NET development and deployment to be a cross-platform one. Several target platforms are considered, including your beloved Mac OS.:). Translation: I can create S*E MkII:) under Vista64 and it would still run under Mac OS X 32, provided you have Mono environment installed.