• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Beta for Adobe Lightroom: 4.1

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all
so I gave a long try to LR (on G5 Mac) processing quite a lot of Hi res pics.
This thing is quite powerfull, here are my 1st comment:
UI
- I would like to be able to have all the tool tabs separated on my secondary screen and the main image on the main screen, that would much more handy…
- The USM is not bad but why not implement the PSCS2 "optimized USM" which is quite better…
- When the thumbnails are below the main window, it would be nice to have there name too, so to be able to select the right next one to work on…
- Finally the speed is not that bad…
- most of controls are usefull and much more powerfull than C1 or ACR…
- In the export panel, the size of export should be expressed in percentage or, if in dimensions there should be possible to choose if in pixels, inches or centimeters
- need a real cropping tool
- need a real lense correction tool, as powerfull as the one from DxO
ISSUES
- some of the purple fringing (when it's red, not purple) is not cleaned as well as in C1, this fringing appear on high contrasted area like a polished stainless-steel pipe in the sun, or on the sea when facing sun.
- some edges are quite tough, if asked I'll post some example, but I'm out of the office until next week (having good time with Asher in LA)

But for a beta, it is worth the try! impressive, really…

Hope this helps and that some Adobe people are around to read this…

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Nicolas Claris said:
need a real cropping tool

How come Jeff Schewe and I are the only ones liking the way LR's crop tool works? I've got a hypothesis: In the past, when we cropped after [wet] pinting we had a certain target size, say, 10x15 cm [that's a European postcard]. We set this with our crop finder ruler and moved it over the image until we had what we needed within the crop. Note that it does not make any difference which of the two involved objects I move!

With digital (including scanned film) we tend to concentrate on what we think would be a good image and crop accordingly, only afterwards realising that our crop will not fit sensibly on ISO or DIN paper. The postcard suddenly comes up as 11.58x13.23 cm.

I am not quite sure what is actually better, the first method asks for more discipline when shooting, the second is less demanding, sloppier but does focus on the image instead of the print [there's a difference as big as our galaxy]. Since LR aims to be a work-flow tool with a defined result - print - it makes sense to use method No 1. With QImage's scissor's tool active you get the same.

Cem_Usakligil

I personally have no issues re. the crop tool in LR. I was wondering, what aspects of it do not work for you Nicolas? What functionalities are you missing?

Cheers,

Cem

John Hollenberg

After using the LR crop tool for quite some time, I have finally gotten used to it. If you are just cropping a bit off one side it is easier to use, otherwise a lot harder. However, the really good part of it is that hitting "R" again hides the cropped portion and enlarges the cropped image to fit the space. This last part is a lot better than RSP and perhaps some other converters.

--John

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
How could have I've not seen the "R"!
Now it is much more efficient! However I still miss the C1 tool, so easy to have the horizon horizontal (remember, I mainly shoot boats at sea).
But yes "R" view makes it totally diffferent. BTW can we set somewhere the precision of the grid?

LR crop tool

Dierk Haasis said:
How come Jeff Schewe and I are the only ones liking the way LR's crop tool works? ...

I do, too :)

In fact, that's one and probably the topmost of a VERY few things that I like about the whole LR...

Cheers!