• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D80 as Backup Camera

doug anderson

Who likes this camera? I've heard nothing but good reports. I'm going to start doing more pro photography and I need a backup. Now that the D90 is out, the price has come down considerably.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

What do you need the camera to do? The D90 is an amazing camera. Still, I'd rather invest the money in the D700 if you could afford it. The real issue is, what do you need?

Frankly, a G9 could do much of our work.

Asher

doug anderson

Doug,

What do you need the camera to do? The D90 is an amazing camera. Still, I'd rather invest the money in the D700 if you could afford it. The real issue is, what do you need?

Frankly, a G9 could do much of our work.

Asher

I have a D300 already. I want to do weddings. I need a back up digital camera. I keep hearing that the G10 has noise above 100 ISO. Money is an issue, and the D90 has features I don't need.

Jeff Donovan

I own a D80. Nice camera, but I've never shot with anything "better" so I'm not sure I could offer a valid comparison for you.

I could show you some photos I've shot at different ISOs in different scenarios if that would help.

Doug, I don't have a D80 but I have a few friends that do and they really like them. You can't really go wrong with Nikon I don't think, it's just a matter of how much to spend for what you really need. If you have never seen it before, you can go to this Pbase site and see a lot of sample photos from many different camera and lens combinations, including the D80. In fact, it looks like there are over 480,000 sample pics available that are from the D80. That should be enough to give you a good idea if it's the one for you.
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d80

James Newman

doug anderson

Doug, I don't have a D80 but I have a few friends that do and they really like them. You can't really go wrong with Nikon I don't think, it's just a matter of how much to spend for what you really need. If you have never seen it before, you can go to this Pbase site and see a lot of sample photos from many different camera and lens combinations, including the D80. In fact, it looks like there are over 480,000 sample pics available that are from the D80. That should be enough to give you a good idea if it's the one for you.
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d80

James Newman

James: I think its the one I'm going to get. It has many of the same controls as my D300 and would make for a graceful switch if the bigger camera stopped working during a shoot. The prices are coming down. I don't really need the extra features offered on the newer D90.

Jim Galli

Can you put most of the older lenses on the D80? I went with the D200 because I have a legacy mid '90's Nikkor 300mm f4AF that I can't live without. I can't keep track of them all, and Nikon is easy. Try keeping track of which Canon is which!

doug anderson

Can you put most of the older lenses on the D80? I went with the D200 because I have a legacy mid '90's Nikkor 300mm f4AF that I can't live without. I can't keep track of them all, and Nikon is easy. Try keeping track of which Canon is which!

All my lenses will go on the D80, including those from my film cameras.