• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photo LA 2012: Photographs & vibe

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
THE 21st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL LOS ANGELES PHOTOGRAPHIC ART EXPOSITION
SANTA MONICA CIVIC AUDITORIUM / JANUARY 12 - 16, 2012

I'm covering, for those who are not here, this exhibit and will try to find interesting pictures and people to present to you so you can get a taste of what's going on in this "scene".

The exhibition, we call Photo LA draws collectors, art lovers and photographers from all over S, California and abroad. I met one dealer from Sao Paulo, Brazil! The opening gala has folk dressed up and even performance art. For some reason stripes seem to be fashionable right now! My first encounter was with the sight of black and white stripes on a man and woman right at the booth of showing Quentin Shi, the New York and Shanghai fashion and art photographer.

So I photographed the two next to one of Quentin Shi's works! They were sporting about it and seem to fit well together.

I'll post those pics shortly.

Asher Kelman

Quentin Shi represented by Art Lexing

QUENTIN SHI (a.k.a. SHI XIAOFAN), born in Tianjin, China in 1975, lives and works as a photographer/artist between New York and Beijing. His work sometimes is simple but elegant in his portraits or else he goes for constructions made of separate pictures. I'm not sure how he made this one, (not in this show)

LastSuppertakeoff.jpg

Quentin Shi: Ad commissioned by Microsoft​

This show presents the interesting series was commissioned by Christian Dior where a large picture was taken in China and a model was shot in Paris and them combined with appropriate reflections and shadows.

Strangerglassbox3.jpg

Quentin Shi: Stranger in a Glass Box #3

ShanghaiDreamers2.jpg

Quentin Shi: Shanghai Dreamers No. 2

ShanghaiDreamers.jpg

Quentin Shi: Shanghai Dreamers No. 7​

Asher Kelman

If anyone in LA wants to join me visiting Photo LA 2012 in Santa Monica, let me know by PM. I'd love to see other photographer's picks of interesting works.

Asher

Asher Kelman

To see the work of Tricia Lawless, a serious study of a photographer's own admittedly excessive preoccupation with herself and the broken in our society, note that this is NSFW, as there's some nudity amongst her pictures and it's dark. The thread is here. It's worthy of attention but with the caveat that you understand it's NSFW.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I'll be back at the exhibit this afternoon and tomorrow. Hope to see you there. I can take someone in the afternoon/ early evening tomorrow.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I have a whole lot more to post. Just need to unload my camera! This goes from Ansel Adams classical prints and modern platinum prints to scanned single line time sequence panoramas, Ilfochromes transmitting light through flowers, pictures softened by movement, work from Australia with pseudo 3D and circular panos and more. Since I am going back to the show this morning, it will take a little time to get things posted, but it's all in progress!

Asher