• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Micro 4/3 lens from Noktor

Benard Quek

Hi
Not sure if you can get excited by this, new third party lens maker for Micro 4/3. Its a f/0.95 50mm lens which translates to a 100mm i guess.

With such low DOF, how does one justify it being used in low light? The Bokeh looks awesome but no specs are given on how those sample images are shot, http://www.noktor.com

I personally feel that such lenses are overated for their low light capability as DOF is so shallow, you have to use a higher F number anyway to give a portrait more depth.

Ben

Hi
Not sure if you can get excited by this, new third party lens maker for Micro 4/3. Its a f/0.95 50mm lens which translates to a 100mm i guess.

With such low DOF, how does one justify it being used in low light? The Bokeh looks awesome but no specs are given on how those sample images are shot, http://www.noktor.com

I personally feel that such lenses are overated for their low light capability as DOF is so shallow, you have to use a higher F number anyway to give a portrait more depth.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing this link. I think it is an important development for the Micro 4/3rd format. The smaller size allows to build more compact lenses, even when they are capable of collecting this much light. The lack of DOF is a given at such wide apertures, and is unfortunately also demonstrated in some of the examples by wrong focusing. The quality of the focus screen becomes very important with such wide aperture manual focus lenses.

The lens design seems simple (8 elements, 2 groups), and no mention of aspherical elements (very important for a lens that's going to be used in night lighting scenarios). It's also not resistent to lens flare, but it's hard to compare without another lens under the same conditions.

Cheers,
Bart

Due to the smaller sensor size of m4/3 compared to 135 cameras the DOF will correspond to a 100mm f/1.9 lens on a 35mm film camera, if my -lousy- mathematics serve me right. So that would not be too shallow, compared to what be already have in other formats (85mm f/1.4)

Christoph