• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Controlling the healing brush?

Jeremy Jachym

pro member
One of my biggest qualms with using the healing brush is my inability to control what part of the image it uses. Let's say there's a wall with a blown out light that you want to remove, so I just want information from the wall. Most of the time when using the healing brush it'll take information from a nearby picture or beam or what-have-you. Is there any way to control what it uses? Thank you.

JJ

Jeremy Jachym

pro member
Hi Bart, I'll try to be more clear. Let's take the blown out light that I'd like to "heal" away. Suppose the light is situated on a wall with plenty of space that I want to cover the light with, but over the light and maybe to the left of it there's information that I don't want the healing brush to use (a beam). Using the healing brush I usually will paint from the desired space over the unwanted area (in this case the light). Unfortunately when I do so the healing brush will sometimes take information from what I didn't want (beam). Is there a way to direct what it uses as a source? I hope that's more clear.

JJ

Hi Bart, I'll try to be more clear. Let's take the blown out light that I'd like to "heal" away. Suppose the light is situated on a wall with plenty of space that I want to cover the light with, but over the light and maybe to the left of it there's information that I don't want the healing brush to use (a beam). Using the healing brush I usually will paint from the desired space over the unwanted area (in this case the light). Unfortunately when I do so the healing brush will sometimes take information from what I didn't want (beam). Is there a way to direct what it uses as a source? I hope that's more clear.

JJ

In that case, maybe the Patch tool is more appropriate. Otherwise, I'd probably make a selection of the blown out area (which presumably will have no structure left), clone in some even wall structure, and then 'Heal' with (small) spots of even wall.

Otherwise, posting a sample crop may help to determine the best strategy.

Bart

Aida BGAgraphix

pro member
For walls and certain patterns , you can research and learn to use the "Vanishing Point" tool. As all the cloning and healing tools, it takes patience and practice to get it right. :)

*this tool was first introduced in the CS2 version, if I don't remember wrong.

Jeremy Jachym

pro member
Hi Sean, that's exactly what I had forgotten. I had been using the spot healing brush until the previous posters reminded me of the difference. Thanks,

JJ