• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Anyone using Silverfast AI with Nikon CoolScan 9000 for scanning?

Just wondering if any listmembers were using SilverFast AI ( or VueScan for that matter) to scan transparancies with the Nikon Super CoolScan 9000?

Pat Morgan

Nikon LS 9000 with SilverFast

Hi Bennet,
I ran across your post using a search engine and would like to state my recommendation: SilverFast

The LS 9000 is the top device on the market, I don't need to tell, but I was really impressed, that you still can improve your scanning results by choosing a proper software.
Since I have to work with some challenging graphical material (many details in shadows and highlights) it's essential for me scanning with a wide dynamic range.
And that's exactly what the SilverFast feature Multi-Exposure accomplishes.
It reveals even the finest nuances in shadows and highlights.
Another feature I like is the new iSRD (scratch and dust removal tool). The new masks and layers allow you to remove scratches without losing information on other parts of the image.

Ok, the GUI is a bit crappy, thus, you'll need some time to get used to it, especially to use the iSRD in a correct way, but in my opinion it's worth the strain.
They should have some tutorial movies on their page, maybe you take a look.

kind regards
Pat

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Welcome Bennett,
Although I've not used SilverFast AI with the 9000 I do use it with the Nikon 5000ED and with an Epson V750Pro (for film larger than 35mm). I have also used VueScan with the 5000ED. I think that either product can produce excellent results. But I have to agree with Pat that SilverFast is the slightly better product. It niggles me to write this, as I'm not fond of LaserSoft Imaging's basic style of business. But although VueScan is quite an extensive, and continuously updated, scanning product and it is bargain-priced it has an interface only an engineer could love (or even understand). You might warm-up to Vuescan, as thousands have. But SilverFast is my choice.

(BTW, doesn't it bug you that Nikon chose not to update their scanner software for the current Mac OS?)

Re: Sf Ai & 9000

Yep it bugs almost everyone that has the 9000 so we are not alone by any means... especially since Nikon is still manufacturing and selling them albeit on a limited basis. They ARE the best scanning solution out there under $10,000 and the quality isn't that far off the big drum machines.