• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom memory issues?

Michael Mouravi

I keep getting inverted "out of memory" errors upon import of large number of files (1,000 - 2,000)

I have 4GB of memory in a dual Xeon 2.8GHz machine.
Has anybody else seen something like this?

outtamemory.jpg

outtamemory1.jpg

StuartRae

Hi Michael,

Have you looked at the LR section in the old RawShooter forums? It looks as if your not the only one.

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Michael,

Mee too (i.e. same error, also 4 GB main memory). It usually happens when I open a collection of few hundred images and go through every picture in compare mode for a while. It seems as if there is a memory leak somewhere.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So then what happens? Are you stuck?

Thanks for the reportd guys.

what about Mac platform?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Asher,

The LR keeps on running (in my case), but slows down considerably. And image previews are rendered erratically (or not at all). One then has to quit the application and restart it. Nothing in the database gets corrupted or anything like that. Still, this is very irritating.

Cheers,

Ray West

Afaik, there are a couple of different methods for xp to handle memory over 2gB. I dunno which, if any, LR may use.

Best wishes,

Ray

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ray,

You are right about that. However, the curious thing is, LR uses on my PC no more than around 1 GB in total. XP is started with the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, so 3 GB is available to any application that needs it. When I experience this problem, the system still has more than 2 GB available, go figure.

Michael, I suspect that my graphics card and its drivers might be the culprit here. I use an nVidia 7800 GT card with the associated drivers from nVidia. Which card do you use?

Cheers,

Michael Mouravi

Cem, I use two NVidia GeForce FX5200 cards.
Why do you suspect the videocard - have there been reports of Nvidia problems with Ligtroom?

Stuart, I posted this on Pixmantec's forum as well - Davide suggested it could be an issue with previews generation.

Asher, yes, the only solution is to exit and restart Lightroom - then all seems fine.
I don't have this problem on the G5 iMac (1.8GHz, 768MB ram), although I haven't attempted such large volume import on it...

I wonder, why is the "out of memory" text mirrored?

I wonder, why is the "out of memory" text mirrored?

To me it looks like a typical programmer's (software engineer) thing to do during a development phase. Maybe it is a remnent of the beta cycle, it should have been caught by a different exception handling routine but was overlooked. It looks like a bug to me, because it apparently doesn't trigger the appropriate error handling.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, I use two NVidia GeForce FX5200 cards.
Why do you suspect the videocard - have there been reports of Nvidia problems with Ligtroom?
Hi Michael,

The reasons for my "gut feeling" are the following:
1) I use dual monitors and the nVidia drivers for setting them up correctly. The nVidia driver has caused many other problems on my systems in the past, due to this particular dual monitor setup. Not everyone uses dual monitors, but the fact that you also seem to be using dual monitors driven by nVidia cards only help enchance my suspicion.
2) When I started testing CS3 and Bridge 3, it had to be set to software rendering in order to display any images. The combination of the Adobe s/w with the DirectX drivers and nVidia drivers seemed to be the culprit. The new update to Bridge 3 has partially eased this problem Since LR shares some code base with its siblings, I suspect that these issues are related somehow.

I know that this is a long shot, but one of these days I'll replace the graphics card with an ATi model and a single monitor configuration and retest the LR. If I can reproduce the error, then my suspicion is unfounded. If not, well then it still remains a suspicion since I cannot conclude for sure that this combo is the culprit ;-).

Cheers,

StuartRae

Cem and Michael,

You may be interested in the following:

In this thread Davide says "We have had some reports of conflicts with NVIDIA desktop manager,".

And in this thread, post #36658, John Zeman report an upside down "out of memory" warning.

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the interesting links. My "gut feeling" was actually quite relevant, it seems. After all, what's the use of having a big gut to start with? LOL...

I'll disable the nVidia desktop manager and DualView options and do some retesting soon.

Cheers,

Cory Silken

pro member
I have an ATI card and have also run into the problem (as well as some others- crashes, a ruined DNG and some with lost metadata). My feeling is that the software is realistically still a beta. I haven't been able to diagnose any rhyme or reason for the problems, other than to close the program and restart it and hope for the best. And wait for a fix...

Cem_Usakligil

I have an ATI card and have also run into the problem (as well as some others- crashes, a ruined DNG and some with lost metadata). My feeling is that the software is realistically still a beta. I haven't been able to diagnose any rhyme or reason for the problems, other than to close the program and restart it and hope for the best. And wait for a fix...
Hi Cory,

Thanks a million, you've saved me a lot of trouble :)).

Cheers

Brad Fernihough

Hi all

"It is a bug and Adobe are aware of it" This is the response you will get on the adobe forums.

It seems that it only occurs on PC and when developing 1:1 previews due some form of memory leak. The advise given is to restart LR when ever this happens.

It'd driving me nuts and totally counter-productive to what this was designed to do, so i hope there engineers fix this and all the other PC bugs as well, soon.

Then LR will really rock.

Brad

John_Nevill

I have also had a fair few crashes when updating metadata.

I noticed about 5000 raw images had no creator tag (I must have forgot to enter it into the camera). I thought i'd do a bulk update, so selected all 5000 images, added my name to the field and hit return and LR abruptly exited. It looks as though meta data updates need to be applied to smaller batches of files (<500).

Anyhone else had similar problems?