• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

out of gamut

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Why is it that our printers are unable to print the entire range of colours in a file. I understand about the limitations of printing according to the colour spaces of the file etc. What I don't understand is the reason for the manufacturers not making machines with a wider capability. I am sure that this is improving with each new release. I am very happy with my Epson 4800 but would love to work in pro RGB & get the whole gamut of what my camera captures. (close to at least)

Cheers,

PB

Steve Saunders

Pigment seems to have the most restricted colour gamut, though it lasts longer than inks apparently. I've read that new generation printers will be using dyes that have a much wider gamut and still retain good longevity.