• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

a guide to modelphotography the DVD

Photographing Models: "A guide to modelphotography the DVD"

My DVD a guide to modelphotography is out also in English.

It holds many clips from location work to studio, in a short overview:
Using studio flashes, working with ringflash, dragging the shutter, location work, dynamic posing, jump photography, a guide to Elinchrom, working with a graycard, glasses in the studio, using beautydishes, softboxes explained, hard vs softlight.... and much much more.

You can order from http://shop.itccomp.nl/doorhof

Greetings,
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray West

There is a short teaser on the website. If the dvd is half as interesting it will be very good value. I'm not into photo's of people, but may well get the dvd for general interest value.

The teaser is very very bad compared to the DVD, that's why we gave it away as a free download.
It was filmed with a 1ccd camera and the sound is terrible.
The DVD is filmed with a 3CCD camera and better light, and the sound quality is better :D

The way of presenting is about the same.

Ray West

review.

Photographing models, whether for clothing or glamour is the easiest job in the world. You just have these beautiful smoothed skinned girls, or guys, who look just perfect, know exactly how to pose, so all you have to do, as the photographer, is point the camera, fire the flash, and that's it, money in the bank!

Of course, there is a lot more to it than that, and Frank Doorhof's first instructional dvd tries to give you some pointers on how to get started.

The first half of the dvd is concerned with studio equipment and set-up. He shows the gear he uses, and how it is used. I think if I were to decide that I wanted to take up any sort of studio photography, watching this section a few times would be a great training exercise, it would give me some idea of what equipment I may need to purchase, and why. The important part is lighting, and there are plenty of examples of different effects obtained by softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors and the like.

The second section is concerned with location work. I personally found this area more interesting, and the techniques described would benefit anybody taking photos out of doors, or within buildings outside of a studio set-up. It is full of hints and tips from how to set your flash so the sky isn't blown out, using available light, reflectors, and so on, to details such as making sure the model has somewhere half decent (like the back of a transit van) in which to change.

The final section consists of a fairly rapid slide show of some of Frank's final images (you can obviously pause and study each image.

Selecting just a couple of the many things that this dvd brought home to me, since I knew nothing about this area of photography:-

a) the models do not look any different than anyone else in normal lighting and without make up. But, it seems to come over that many have a certain type of personality - they can 'sort of let go', have fun, but still be aware of what they are doing, how effective just a fractional change in an eyelash position can change the whole look. Much of the rest is the real skill of the make up artist, and the photographer.

b) most models have a couple of arms, a pair of legs, and a few other bits and bobs. You would think that by now every posing position would have been tried. I don't know how folk like Frank maintain the freshness and newness of their images. (Maybe my first paragraph, was correct, after all, just press the button)

I believe, that if you take any interest in photographing people, or anything else for that matter, either inside or outside of a studio, then this dvd would not only give you inspiration, but also in many instances show you how to get exactly the results you wish. Good value for money, easy to purchase and prompt delivery.

I'm not sure if its OK to put a 'mini-review', but if not, then delete it or move elsewhere. Just that i said I was going to buy the dvd, and I did, and over the last couple of evenings I had a chance to be entertained....

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi,
At the moment there are 3 different versions out.
A guide to modelphotography (from the start)
And Inside look 1 and 2 which both are more advanced.

Greetings,
Frank