• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss ZE Lens Teaser! Potentially Massive news September 15th!?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
carl_zeiss_logo.gif

Zeiss might be releasing a new lens mount shortly! The Stellar ZA mount belongs to Sony's new Minolta heritage Sony Alpha DSLR line. So it's not that lens design. Likely it's a version of the lenses used for the Nikon and Pentax. The buzz and speculation is that it will be for the Eos DSLR mount! I woudn't expect anything but manual with focus confirm and if we are lucky, auto-stop down. Of course, they might be delivering a Zeiss Ikon full frame Digital Rangefinder camera, the camera we had hoped Leica might have delivered in the M8. If so, I want one!

Would you like to know? Well sign up at the Zeiss website here. The place to click on is the blue "Curious About ZE" type. That allows you to register and be on the list to access the announcement!

Asher

Last edited:

Mike Shimwell

Just a quickie as it's lunchtime at work.

For those who haven't yet noticed, Zeiss has confirmed that the new mount is RF. Initially they will ofer the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4, with a new (to the series) 21 2.8 (excellent!!) to follow early 2009 I think. The lenses communicate fully electronically with the bodies allowing all functions apart from autofocus (but focus confirmation will work).

Great news for canon shooters in search of wides!

Mike

Ron Morse

I ran across this over at FM.

OBERKOCHEN/Germany, Carl Zeiss is expanding its successful line of SLR lenses: ZE lenses with EF bayonet for all analog and digital EOS camera models. As with all EF lenses, the new ZE lenses from Carl Zeiss transfer all information exclusively via electronic contacts. This means that all exposure modes such as programmed auto exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual setting are supported.

The camera’s automatic focus confirmation also remains available to an unlimited extent with these manual focus lenses. With digital SLRs, the lens data and all exposure data can also be accessed via the camera’s EXIF file. Even E-TTL flash metering is supported. The first lenses to be available will be the Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE and the Planar T* 1.4/85 ZE in the last quarter of this year.

Further focal lengths will be added to the line within the next few months.

Asher Kelman

Just a quickie as it's lunchtime at work.

For those who haven't yet noticed, Zeiss has confirmed that the new mount is RF. Initially they will ofer the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4, with a new (to the series) 21 2.8 (excellent!!) to follow early 2009 I think. The lenses communicate fully electronically with the bodies allowing all functions apart from autofocus (but focus confirmation will work).
Mike,

RF? Are you sure? Or is it EF?

Asher Kelman

I ran across this over at FM.

OBERKOCHEN/Germany, Carl Zeiss is expanding its successful line of SLR lenses: ZE lenses with EF bayonet for all analog and digital EOS camera models. As with all EF lenses, the new ZE lenses from Carl Zeiss transfer all information exclusively via electronic contacts. This means that all exposure modes such as programmed auto exposure, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual setting are supported.
I can't see how shutter priority is supported. When one sets the shutter, how does the manual lens respond?

Cem_Usakligil

I can't see how shutter priority is supported. When one sets the shutter, how does the manual lens respond?
Hi Asher,

If I'm not mistaken, "manual" here is all about the lens not being autofocus.
Even my old manual lenses still close down their aperture based on the shutter priority instructions.

Cheers,

Michael Fontana

pro member
The 21 mm is a lens that quite a lot of photographers are waiting for.

There hasn't been until shortly any rivals, since the former Contax-distagon 21, out of the 80th (not sure about its construction time, though) In the last years, untill $ 4000 was paid for these...