• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Olympus 35 RD Rangefinder

Paul Abbott

Here is the little dude that helps me shoot film...

In it's time this was Olympus's top of the line rangefinder. It's a full metal body and feels sweet in the hands. I can shoot at 1/15 sec. without any camera shake, it is beautifully balanced in the hand.
It's quick and easy to shoot with too.

It has a fast f1.7 40mm (f1.7 - f16) lens which is 'tack' sharp, metered shutter-priority, non-metered manual, B 1 - 1/500 shutter speeds and 25-800 ASA film speed. The selenium cell lies in the front and at the top of the lens so it can compensate for filters.

m35rd1of1500.jpg

Olympus 35 RD

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

This is a great advance. I am thrilled you have this gem. It's amazing hoe such cameras are neglected and overlooked, even by folk that have one tucked away in a cupboard! There's something special about having to be more selective in choosing what to photograph, from what position, when and in what light. I'd argue that shooting just 1-2 rolls of film a month and printing the images would help all of us make better digital pictures too.

So I'm hoping to see many pictures taken with this camera!

Happy shooting!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, your right. Shooting film does make you so much more selective in the the approach and evaluation of a scene. Also, having an inherent understanding on how the lens on this camera records things is a good thing too. It is easy with this 40mm, it records exactly what the eye sees, and I like that. It totally suits my way of seeing now...:)

Converging verticals are limited with this 40mm lens too, which is a good thing.

Mike Shimwell

Paul

It looks lovely - did you dig out of the cupboard or acquire it elsewhere?

RFs can be quite beguiling in the simplicity of the viewfinder ex[erience. No depth of field preview or exageration, just what's in front of you with some very approximate outlines for your frame. If you're shooting 35 to 50mm focal length they are excellent, and actually hold up better than you'd expect to 90 or 135.

Mike

Paul Abbott

Mike, this is a fully serviced and in mint condition 35 RD I bought from a guy online. He services Olympus rangefinders and Trip 35's, and offers six month warranty's.

These camera's used to suffer from a sticky shutter due to grease migrating from the lens to the shutter, but using today's modern substitutes the problem is easily remedied. This camera has all new light seals too, which are the first to go on these old cameras.

I have a Rollei 35, Canon Canonet and a Canon GIII QL17 rangefinder too. These cameras beat the *hit out of today's modern counterparts. That's what I think anyway...:D