• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A new adventure

Doug Kerr

Sometime very early next year, the World Headquarters of the Carla and Doug show will probably move from Weatherford, Texas to some place in New Mexico, very possibly Alamogordo (more on that later).

The propellant for this change is our need to reduce our cost of living in the light of severe deterioration in the earning power of our investment estate.

A big part of our budget is the cost of owning and operating our home. We have a lovely home here in Weatherford, but it is bigger than we need (read, "bigger than we can prudently afford"). So we think in terms of a smaller home, and perhaps one in a location where housing costs (and perhaps other living costs) are less than in North Texas.

And we really would, for various reasons (you can see some of them on television these days), rather be in New Mexico than Texas. So here is an opportunity to act on that.

We fed various criteria (climate, environment, etc.) into our (metaphorical) Ouija board and when its bug settled down it was pointing to Alamogordo, New Mexico.

This is a town of about 30k population in southern New Mexico, about 90 miles north of El Paso, Texas. It is near the famous White Sands area (only a few miles from the site of the first nuclear detonation).

The altitude is about 3300 ft MSL (1000 m). It sits at the western foothills of a serious mountain range (one wants to be on the western side; most of the snowfall is on the eastern slopes - adiabatic expansion of the prevailing winds, you know).

It is the company town for the White Sands Missile Range (missile and bomb testing) and Holloman Air Force Base (whose mission includes aircraft testing and special flight training). It has the world's longest high-speed ground test track (almost 10 miles, capable of "sled" speeds up to Mach 9, about 7000 mi/hr).

Holloman also hosts a flight training school of the Deutsche Luftwaffe (German Air Force). Why have that in New Mexico, rather than Germany? Man, the weather is so much better!

Neither Carla or I have ever been there. The end of the first week of January we will drive out (about 520 miles from Weatherford), and if the vibe is good, we will look at houses to buy.

The prospect of the move is daunting, largely because we have a lot of stuff to offload (much of it stuff I was going to sell "right away" when we moved to Weatherford from Dallas four years ago!). You'll see a lot of LF cameras in the classifieds here over the next little while.

So, that's the current outlook. Like everything else, it is subject to change.

I'll keep you all up to date as the adventure unfolds.

Best regards,

Doug

Sometime very early next year, the World Headquarters of the Carla and Doug show will probably move from Weatherford, Texas to some place in New Mexico, very possibly Alamogordo (more on that later).

Hi Doug,

Sounds as (and probably is) a big change, especially at your respected ages (although my late parents used to move, or at least significantly (!) redecorate the interior, about every 5 years till their 80's).

Wishing you lots of success with the preparations and ultimate decision ...

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

you can see some of them on television these days

No, not really. At least, I suppose I would't see them outside of the US if I owned a TV set. I dot want to start a political discussion, but could you rapidly sketch the events in neutral terms?

All the best to your new home.

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Carla and Doug,

I want to commend your courage and determination in contemplating a bold move like this. You can be sure that we shall be here all the way to support and encourage you anyway we can. :)

Godspeed!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

I [don't] want to start a political discussion, but could you rapidly sketch the events in neutral terms?

I was specifically referring to the recent nationwide visibility of the governor of the state of Texas, James Richard "Rick" Perry. He aspires to be the candidate of the Republican Party in the 2012 election for president of the United States for the 2013-2017 term.

In his appearances in the debates among the aspirants for the nomination and in other public statements, he repeatedly reveals an appalling lack of knowledge on many fronts (including history, geography, foreign affairs, tax theory and practice, and most damning to Carla and me, of the English language) and reflects what we personally score as a low intellectual capability.

Here's an example. The federal government (under President Obama) provided a large loan guarantee (USD 500M) for a company called Solyndra [note the spelling], a California-based manufacturer of solar energy panels. This was part of the government's program to encourage the development of renewable energy sources. The company failed, and there is much criticism that the Government had not been prudent in helping to fund the project, and had been overly influenced by company lobbyists in doing so. This has been a big subject of discussion in the press and in the Congress.

During one of his public appearances, Governor Perry spoke out against the government's ill-advised "sending of money to the country of Solynda" [sic].

His brashness is a tragic caricature of the fabled Texas strength of will.

As to Texas overall, it is a state of many paradoxes, with many strengths and many failings. It scores near the bottom of the list of American states in many metrics of social policy: educational attainment by young people, public spending on education and health care, fraction of the residents covered by health care insurance, and so forth. It leads the nation (far out of proportion to its large population) in the number of people executed for capital crimes. (There are of course many who do not find that a negative at all - Governor Perry prominent among them.)

Of course these metrics mostly have no direct influence on my wife and I (although I was disappointed in the educations my daughters received here). But these metrics reflect policies, and the policies reflect attitudes. "A people ultimately gets the kind of government it deserves". [I might add, "at best".]

On the non-governmental front, North Texas (Dallas and so forth) is a leading region for "road rage", in which a driver, offended by another driver's actions (perhaps making a lane change the first driver considered an affront to his progress) will just shoot the second driver.

And in fact, there is a very widespread desire to have as many guns as possible in the hands of the public. For example, the view (the law now, actually) is that college students should be allowed to carry guns to class, so that if some crazed guy comes into the classroom and begins shooting, the other students can bring him down and prevent carnage.

There is a widespread suspicion in Texas against anyone not born here. At a recent dinner party Carla and I attended, a woman was speaking of a fellow she had been seeing, but said that she doubted that it would work out because "he is a Yankee (i.e., from the North) and a Democrat".

And there is uniformly-widespread disrespect for the details of both the English and Spanish languages - vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation. We will hear of a wonderful restaurant on "Ma-na-na Drive" (Mañana Drive).

On the religious front (Carla and I are nominal Episcopalians; The Episcopal Church is the American "franchise" of the Anglican Communion): The Episcopal Church (nationally) in 1976 decreed that henceforth, for The Episcopal Church overall, women as well as men could become priests and bishops. Nevertheless, the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth (covering a large portion of north Texas, including our town) held as its official, announced policy that women may not become priests or bishops. It was one of three Episcopal dioceses across the nation that did so. The adjacent Episcopal Diocese of Dallas (covers most of the rest of north Texas) does not have that policy officially, but until just last year held to it in practice.

In 2008, the then-bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth, the diocesan administration, and most of the clergy of the diocese left the Episcopal church to join a theocratically-conservative Anglican church in South America in order to escape alleged "oppression" by the national Episcopal Church; these congregations continue to occupy the same buildings. The new leadership of the diocese of course does not have any such policy, and three woman have been ordained priest since, one of them now the rector of our own church, which Carla and I helped found in the wake of the "secession" (it was in full operation the next morning, with all accountrements).

If you are by any chance interested in such matters, you may find this article of interest:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Episcopal_Civil_War.pdf

On the other hand, Texas in general has wonderful highways, and a great tradition of highway design and construction. (Texas A&M University has a leading program in that field.) And Dallas has one of the best classical music radio stations in the country (run by the city, in fact, to the continuing distress of the right wing among the city politicians). Fortunately its programming is available world-wide by Internet streaming.

Here is a link:

http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6170

I've lived in Texas over half my life. I've had a comfortable life here, enjoyed many great experiences, and have made many wonderful friends here. Still, I can't help but shudder when one of them refers to the nearby college town of Denton as "Dinton", or calls a writing instrument an "ink pen" (said to avoid any chance that a "pin" might be meant, since the two words sound essentially the same).

So I remain, certainly largely through my own shortcomings of character, a stranger in a strange land. And I think it is perhaps time for a change.

Best regards,

Doug

Kevin Stecyk

Doug, I want to wish you and Carla well in your adventures to your new home.

I am curious, though, have you and Carla given serious consideration to your social network? Once you pull up stakes, everything and everyone will be foreign to you.

I have often wondered about those who relocate outside of their native country (U.S. or Canada) where the costs of living are even less expensive. How do they adapt to their new surroundings?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I am curious, though, have you and Carla given serious consideration to your social network? Once you pull up stakes, everything and everyone will be foreign to you.

I have often wondered about those who relocate outside of their native country (U.S. or Canada) where the costs of living are even less expensive. How do they adapt to their new surroundings?

Kevin,

Everything has a beginning, middle and end. Without that, there's no chance to really explore fresh vistas. Doug and Carla will rapidly establish a new circle and will be able to invest more into whatever they choose to do. A move like this is actually away of reassigning one's resources. Movie stars, with unlimited wealth keep the old house. We've lots of empty homes in California that are never for sale! Ordinary mortals like us, can't do that. Since Doug and Carla are two resilient loving folk, so bound together, they will succeed in enhancing their already rich lives.

Doug,

Real friends will maintain contact somehow, but life has to move with the river currents. There are always losses in our journey. We can carry less as the boat gets smaller and the oars grow heavier! Still our eyes and hearts enjoy every minute. After all, you have great chosen companionship and have unerasable memories.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Kevin,

Thank you so much.

Yes, of course. But we will establish new contacts, of a nature and quantity suitable to our new perspective.

Thanks again for your good wishes.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Kevin,

Everything has a beginning, middle and end. Without that, there's no chance to really explore fresh vistas. Doug and Carla will rapidly establish a new circle and will be able to invest more into whatever they choose to do. A move like this is actually away of reassigning one's resources. Movie stars, with unlimited wealth keep the old house. We've lots of empty homes in California that are never for sale! Ordinary mortals like us, can't do that. Since Doug and Carla are two resilient loving folk, so bound together, they will succeed in enhancing their already rich lives.

Doug,

Real friends will maintain contact somehow, but life has to move with the river currents. There are always losses in our journey. We can carry less as the boat gets smaller and the oars grow heavier! Still our eyes and hearts enjoy every minute. After all, you have great chosen companionship and have unerasable memories.

Carla and I are deeply touched by your observations.

A wonderful thing is that this forum, with all my colleagues and good friends here, exists universally (that is, once I get my Internet access straightened out in New Mexico!).

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

So I remain, certainly largely through my own shortcomings of character, a stranger in a strange land.

If I may voice a political opinion on this forum: please allow me to congratulate you for your shortcomings of character. Thank you for the summary on Texas political life.

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

I hope it all works out for you, and you find a house that feels like home.
I certainly don't envy you the physical move. I've been here since 1974, and I have things I've forgotten I have hidden in places that no longer exist.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

I hope it all works out for you, and you find a house that feels like home.

Thank you. We are optimistic.
I certainly don't envy you the physical move. I've been here since 1974, and I have things I've forgotten I have hidden in places that no longer exist.

Well, the good news is that we have only been in this house since 2007, and we got rid of an awful lot of stuff then.

The bad news is that we brought a lot of stuff we planned to get rid of as soon as possible, and I've done almost none of that. Plus of course we have a lot of new stuff!

So indeed it will be daunting.

Thanks again for your best wishes. I'll keep everybody apprised as to how the adventure unfolds.

Best wishes,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Well, Doug,

It's time to document your messes. piles and dilemmas and the food Carla prepares while you crate everything! Also the neighborhood, shops, cross streets, park benches with the folk, police station, library etc. All you will leave behind!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well, Doug,

It's time to document your messes. piles and dilemmas and the food Carla prepares while you crate everything! Also the neighborhood, shops, cross streets, park benches with the folk, police station, library etc. All you will leave behind!

Indeed!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

How can we help you in this major transition. I don't want us to be stealing your great collection of photo gear, especially treasured speed and crown Graphics. Still if you do need to sell any photo related gear, we wish to offer you full hospitality to make use of the for Sale Section in OPF. You can offer just to OPFrs at first, if that suits you or else, exceptionally for you as a major longtime and devoted contributor, links to eBay postings.

It would be wonderful if some of the special cameras you have will get new homes with others in OPF.

Asher