• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pocketability?

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a recent column by Kirk Tuck on the so-called pocketability of cameras. He writes:
What in the world is with the latest metrosexual camera obsession called pocketability? I was reading some well reasoned discussions about Olympus Pen and Nikon series 1 cameras and when I started to scroll down through the comments I found entry after entry downgrading the cameras because they can't fit into someone's tight, slim fit, rocker jeans back pocket. Since when was that a concern for real photographers? Pathetic...
You can read the rest of it in the link given.

Hilarious!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is a recent column by Kirk Tuck on the so-called pocketability of cameras.

Cem,

My view of pocketability is simple. Can "they" get into the baggy pockets of my pants. So in in one location in Rome, where lots of child pickpocket teams work, I stuff a coke can after my wallet, so I'm more "pick-pocket" proof.

Other times, I often walk around with a 50mm lens on my 5DII and a f4.0 70-200 lens in my pocket. It's so convenient. No camera bag needed and instead a light tripod, if I wish.

Occasionally I get stares from folk, but let them wonder! :)

Asher

Jerome Marot

I will answer with pictures:

Minox_35GT.jpg

R35S_07.jpg

and, of course:

Minox_A_IIIs.jpg

Bob Rogers

I used to scoff at the size issue, but now that I travel to conferences and need a suit, and since airlines are charging for checked bags I need to carry my camera.

So being able to fit it into the breast pocket of a blazer is nearly a requirement. Either that, or don't bring it along.

Canon s95 is my main camera now. After some comparisons, I find that the image quality in many cases (for most of my intended purposes) is just fine.

Jerome Marot

And which do you use, most, Jerome?

I only own the first one, but rarely use it nowadays. I just wanted to show that pocketability is not a new concept. As far as I know, the Minox A was really the first camera designed to be pocketable and mass produced. There have been small cameras before, but they were rather marketed as "spy cameras". And, of course, the Leica 1 was designed as a small camera 10 years before the Minox A and one could argue that it is "pocketable", but I tend to believe it needs really big pockets.

As far as pocketable 35mm film cameras go, there have been quite a few interesting models in the late 80s, early 90s, building on the popularity of the early Rollei 35 and Minox C models. I still own a Nikon 35 Ti and a Ricoh GR1. The Ricoh is really nice and very compact.

10 years before that, 110 film was all the rage and most if not all 110 cameras were pocketable...

Asher Kelman

Pocket cameras are cool but I think they are more fun when you have a big camera too :)

That's how I feel. I'm planning to shoot in Europe with my new ,(old stock), Globuscope 4x5 camera. It weighs about 2lb 14 oz with the Fotoman viewer I bought to go in the flash mount. With a 65 mm lens I have the equivalent of about a 20mm lens in 35 mm terms. So set at about 15 feet it should be perfect from near to far for point and shoot. I'll have a vest for the 4x5 film holders and 5 give me ten shots which is a lot. Then I have the pocketable GXR 50mm Macro and a 24-75 module. That's very different from my usual collection.

Asher

CD Holden

A half century (and more) ago, 6x6/6x9 folders were quite popular. I prefer 6x9 over 6x6 for landscapes, but there are lots of folder options: Certo Six, Franka Solida, Agfa Billy Record, Ventura Deluxe, Voigtlander Bessa, Zeiss Ikonta, Pentacon Ercona (Rusian release of Ikonta after occupation), and the list goes on. As long as 120 film is still available, I'll enjoy pocketability in my larger pockets.

Asher Kelman

A half century (and more) ago, 6x6/6x9 folders were quite popular. I prefer 6x9 over 6x6 for landscapes, but there are lots of folder options: Certo Six, Franka Solida, Agfa Billy Record, Ventura Deluxe, Voigtlander Bessa, Zeiss Ikonta, Pentacon Ercona (Rusian release of Ikonta after occupation), and the list goes on. As long as 120 film is still available, I'll enjoy pocketability in my larger pockets.
So what of all these have you chosen and kept? I'd love a new 6x7 Bessa myself. It has everything: silence, black, a modern sharp Fuji lens, a focus that really works.

Asher

Asher Kelman

That's true, the pockets on the coat I'm going out with today will hold a 5D with prime lens!

Asher, are you going to use the GXR for metering the LF rig?

That's a great idea. I could, but I need to check between GXR reading and my Minolta IV. I'm not as confident with film exposures, especially transparencies out of the studio.

Asher

CD Holden

So what of all these have you chosen and kept? I'd love a new 6x7 Bessa myself. It has everything: silence, black, a modern sharp Fuji lens, a focus that really works.

Asher
I have not used a 6x6 or 6x9 I didn't like. The Agfa models have bellows that don't hold up well over time. Unless you get lucky or get a CLA, there's always a question if *this* is the roll with light leaks.
I've always liked the Bessa and Ikontas. I like the coupled rangefinders, but I can use the uncoupled viewfinders without any grief (I mainly shoot landscapes), so either is fine with me. Maybe it's my bias for German engineering, but both of these are solid cameras. I currently own a pair of uncoupled Erconas. Both have CZ Tessar lenses. They're reliable and inexpensive. Many don't know the history or know that it's just an Ikonta. I would still have the Bessa if I had a Skopar lens on it. When someone finds out you've got a Heliar version, word gets around and the offers get higher and higher. I sold mine.

CD Holden

A few of them, actually. I don't really share my work, as it's more for my sanity being able to get out with the cameras.
Most of my 135 and MF is from my wanderings around south Florida in the Everglades, Loxahatchee and various parks along the east coast between Sebastian and Key West. When I started hiking around TN, I got the ultralight bug to rack up more miles on the trails and left my cameras at home many times. I'm cured of that now. Now I make sure my pack is light so I can lug the larger formats around.
When I finally get around to buying a scanner, I'm sure I will be tempted to put something online. Until then, I just enjoy what others post. :)

Asher Kelman

A few of them, actually. I don't really share my work, as it's more for my sanity being able to get out with the cameras.

Well, there's a lot of pleasure you can spread, for sure with just an occasional example of your passion. Why is it so valuable? Well we are able to see through the eyes of another. That way, not only are we taken to a new place, but also look for a vantage point we'd have never chosen ourselves.

Most of my 135 and MF is from my wanderings around south Florida in the Everglades, Loxahatchee and various parks along the east coast between Sebastian and Key West.

OMG! What a treasure trove!

Now I make sure my pack is light so I can lug the larger formats around.

So what are you carrying inside that pack?

I have a really ]lightweight LF setup[/B]! See thread # 19 and add a lightweight carbon fiber tripod. Total is about $7 lb!

When I finally get around to buying a scanner, I'm sure I will be tempted to put something online.

This is something we'll look forward to!

Now do you also use a digital camera for snaps?

Asher

CD Holden

Asher Kelman said:
So what are you carrying inside that pack?

I have a really ]lightweight LF setup[/B]! See thread # 19 and add a lightweight carbon fiber tripod. Total is about $7 lb!
Very nice. Before camera gear, I was a little over 9 pounds for everything I need for a 4-5 day trip. My 5x7 weighs more than the loaded pack, so I never bothered weighing it. I've got a CF tripod that weighs ~4 pounds. My newly acquired Seneca self-casing camera will be a joy to pack so I can leave the Sinar behind. I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels like only a couple of pounds. While it's got a very small (and limiting) lensboard, it will be a nice change.

Asher Kelman said:
Now do you also use a digital camera for snaps?

Asher
Yes, but mostly use it for work. It's a point and shoot, and has found more productive use in documenting work on various job sites than trying to be an artistic tool. It's convenient for Ebay pics too. I tried to get into digital photography about 9-10 years ago, but for serious photos, it just didn't feel right. I'm a film luddite. If my photography needs a change, I wouldn't mind getting one of the Globus bodies. I just couldn't swing buying 10 of them to get one. I sent an email to one of the buyers asking if he would sell one, but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Asher Kelman

Very nice. Before camera gear, I was a little over 9 pounds for everything I need for a 4-5 day trip. My 5x7 weighs more than the loaded pack, so I never bothered weighing it. I've got a CF tripod that weighs ~4 pounds. My newly acquired Seneca self-casing camera will be a joy to pack so I can leave the Sinar behind. I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels like only a couple of pounds. While it's got a very small (and limiting) lensboard, it will be a nice change.

Yes, but mostly use it for work. It's a point and shoot, and has found more productive use in documenting work on various job sites than trying to be an artistic tool. It's convenient for Ebay pics too. I tried to get into digital photography about 9-10 years ago, but for serious photos, it just didn't feel right. I'm a film luddite. If my photography needs a change, I wouldn't mind getting one of the Globus bodies. I just couldn't swing buying 10 of them to get one. I sent an email to one of the buyers asking if he would sell one, but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Yesterday I looked in to a photography jacket. The pockets are massive. I'm going to go back with the globes camera and my 5DII to see if they will fit, LOL!

Where are you located?

Asher

CD Holden

Those pockets would have to be massive to hold all that!

I'm in the Nashville area, but work gets me around most of the rest of the state at times too. There is a lot to see in Tennessee... unfortunately, not enough time to stop and take photos most days.

Asher Kelman

I'd like them just to hold the 4x5 film holders, my meter and/ digicam as meter. Not sure where i'll put the actual camera!! Best to actually hold it. In the pocket it may look like I'm packing something awful!

Asher