• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Camp Fire

StuartRae

For weeks my grandson had wanted a camp fire, but because of a long dry summer there was a burn ban on Whidbey. Eventually we had several consecutive rainy days and the ban was lifted.

We found rocks and built a fire pit, and when the moment arrived we lit the fire. We sat round it and drank beer, toasted marshmallows and gazed at the infinity of stars in the sky above us.

IMG_1888-OPF.jpg

IMG_1894-OPF.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For weeks my grandson had wanted a camp fire, but because of a long dry summer there was a burn ban on Whidbey. Eventually we had several consecutive rainy days and the ban was lifted.

We found rocks and built a fire pit, and when the moment arrived we lit the fire. We sat round it and drank beer, toasted marshmallows and gazed at the infinity of stars in the sky above us.

Stuart,

How old is your grandson, giving him beer, LOL!

IMG_1894-OPF.jpg

This is about the best picture of a wood fire I've seen in ages. We see both the wood and the flames leaping around, both remarkably imaged! It's such a challenge that I almost never manage to avoid some white-out!

But how include the fire and still cover people too? Perhaps the only solution is bracketing to get the flame and faces!

The nice thing about Ricoh cameras, is that one shutter press can trigger 3 bracketed images in rapid succession. Did you manage to get good pictures of the family too?

Asher

Asher is right about that fire photo, Stuart. It's a remarkably simple and beautiful image with a great deal of visual impact.

StuartRae

Stuart,
But how include the fire and still cover people too? Perhaps the only solution is bracketing to get the flame and faces!............................Did you manage to get good pictures of the family too?
Asher

Thanks Asher. I did get some pictures of the family, but while they are good enough to serve as personal momentos, I wouldn't like to inflict them on the general public. In this shot I wanted the fire to stand alone.

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

Asher is right about that fire photo, Stuart. It's a remarkably simple and beautiful image with a great deal of visual impact.

Thank you Tom. I managed to achieve what I wanted by taking some care with the raw conversion and applying some judicious PP.

Regards,

Stuart