• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zack sums it up great

Robert Watcher

Zack sums up my sentiments of "Full Frame" perfectly. I have used similar reasoning since I switched to digital from my Mamyia RZ67 in the early 2000's - but have failed in getting much sympathy. So I'll just let this excellent video presentation do the talking - - - not that it is going to stop any of the craziness talk that continues day after day - - - where camera talk takes precedence over ability to talk great images (like his last minute or so, the camera can't see, feel, anticipate, expose, compose, etc, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYidejT3KY#t=604

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Zack sums up my sentiments of "Full Frame" perfectly. I have used similar reasoning since I switched to digital from my Mamyia RZ67 in the early 2000's - but have failed in getting much sympathy. So I'll just let this excellent video presentation do the talking - - - not that it is going to stop any of the craziness talk that continues day after day - - - where camera talk takes precedence over ability to talk great images (like his last minute or so, the camera can't see, feel, anticipate, expose, compose, etc, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYidejT3KY#t=604

He's right, Bob, the lightest reliable camera for the job. It all goes to how much detail one really needs.

However, the most important thing is that a smart fellow knows nothing about composing his life. He's the moron behind the camera when he uses that pipe and self-poisons with tobacco! That's what I came from the video with! How can a guy who has such a lot of common sense wisdom on cameras and reality not apply that to his own life?

I think of that after we just lost Uwe Steinmueller to a heart attack, although I cannot remember whether or not he smoked. Still, we need to look after each other better!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It was just a prop. Relax.

Well, Ben, I am pretty serious at times, I must admit! You must know him pretty well and then it's fun.

For me, the pipe brings back memories - the good: my late father in law, a wonderful man and brilliant photographer and then Magritte, who also used the famous pipe as practically a trade mark subject for so many paintings...and then there's the tragic side: the health costs of tobacco.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I smoke a pipe actually. Albeit about twice a month.

Pipes are very handsome and some have a great tactile attraction. Even the smell of some tobaccos, unlit in a fresh pack is very seductive. However, smoke makes me cough and old smoke is horrid, LOL!

The great thing about the pipe is the impression that it gives of the smoker reminiscing, considering or imagining, all wonderful aspects to show the world. Why this is so, I don't know, but perhaps it's something to do with mastering fire in the first place, a Freudian explanation, having a sublimated weapon at hand or just a beautiful adult, posturing toy to play with.

British men with tightly rolled black umbrellas were really swanky and masterful replacement for a weapon and perhaps it's the same sort of aspect we add to our being with a handsome pipe?

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
pipe.jpg

Self portrait a couple of years ago. I do rather dig the whole 1920's look. Wish the weather here was more conducive towards that style of dress.

Robert Watcher

I'm with Asher. I detest smoking of any type. However I do sometimes find pipes to be compelling elements in photographs. As well, the sweet smell of someone smoking a pipe, is something that I often find appealing. That said - - - there are many things in life that are enjoyable, that I refrain from for health, ethical or moral issues - or just preference too.

-----

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Given Asher's job I have to apologise for using the word 'relax', I'm sure he sees every day what happens because people were relaxed about smoking.