• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Achieving above one's grade!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This discussion came from a quick comment here, by Andy Brown in response to my photographs of sculptures I've made for my very modern home.

Asher, you're a bloody legend....and an over-achiever - I'm loving you and hating you right now.

That's such a nice thing for Andy o say, (......... almost Australian Northern Territory humor, in it''s "wrapped up", seemingly "hostile" invective, but containing a genuinely felt nugget of hopefully, well-earned praise). Andy's nice comment should have been covered with the tendering a simple "Thank you!" The matter would end there and be, in itself, satisfying to the two of us, but not very significant to anyone else!

However, I realize that a lot of folk a locked in paths based on assumptions of what cannot be achieved with one's own resources and capabilities. In fact, the stuff of great adventures is based on the conquest of such opposition. Heroes faced with a block, swivel on a dime and take a new course that they discover only in that acute setback. My belief is that these stories are in fact useful tools for us as we all are far more capable than we'd first assess. So instead of just thanking Andy for his supportive quip, I decided to disclose at some length the framework in which I operate. Perhaps this might give others an approach to materializing their own dreams.

Interestingly, Andy,

I obtained the house by sheer good luck when it was repossessed by the bank from the architect. His builders had taken shortcuts and so rendered the house a leaking sieve. No one would buy it. I had a major builder evaluate it for repair and he said it should be leveled instead. So I made the bank a very low offer that they would have to finance with a small deposit and went off to a medical conference in Munich and then forgot about the whole matter as a lost cause.

Two months later, after the big Los Angeles earthquake, we were contacted by the broker who wanted to know how we like our new home. I hadn't the faintest idea what she was talking about, LOL!

It turned out that the bank had decided that we were their best option and they'd agreed to the special terms! I was totally amazed. Since then, I gradually undid the faults in the house and made it totally sound. The faults forced me to tackle a job way above my grade. Everything I subsequently tackled in the house, I researched thoroughly and used only the best engineering, standards for redundancy and workers to re-fashion that small element in that year. We lived for a long time with many buckets to collect water and fans to dry books and clothes. It took all of ten years to finally have the house in perfect structural and architectural shape. There were big mistakes that forced me to backtrack and take over from a builder and rethink my approach until I got it right. That's a great lesson in life. We're now on a house, the kind that only other people love in and each time I walk along the corridor by the open rooms, I'm still in awe that I'm even allowed in the place!

So that's how one overachieves - simply set oneself a goal one doubts one can achieve and then break it down into small steps! I used that idea as my mantra as I climbed the steps in the tower to go on the very long and high zip lines in Costa Rica this summer. I was very frightened by the open steel stairs and height above the jungle canopy. Notwithstanding my innate dread of heights, I refused to consider any height, but my own relative to the steps below my feet, and so made it to the top. Once actually there on the top platform, despite my utter dread of the open edge, my confidence in the physics of the matter and the tensile strength of the steel cable and the nature of the harness, allowed me to totally relax and experience the freedom and joy of flying above the Forrest, something no sane fellow weighing $230 lb would do at 73!

The only difficulty in toiling above one's grade is to handle one small worrisome step at a time, knowing that, achieving that in itself is a wasted effort if one does not persist.

The troubles in Northern Island made an impression on me which bears relevance to this attitude of persistence. I have always admired the neatly-dressed little girls in Catholic preschool uniform, as they steadfastly passed through a gauntlet of irate, bullying Ulster Protestant intimidators, angry, demon-possessed women, hurling vulgar insults. How such children could get to their classes every day without breaking down inspired me. It's imprinted on my brain. That, to me set my standard to follow when facing seemingly impassable obstacles and pushback.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A wonderful set of thoughts, and a wonderful story about the house.

But no one achieves above their "grade". Their "grade" is in fact, to a large part, a metric of their achievements.

You have every right to be very proud of your achievements in many circles and on many planes. I am proud to know you.

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

Asher, it's clear you haven't over-achieved but achieved within your (amazing) capabilities.
I keep myself happy working within my capabilities - watching footy on telly, cracking **** jokes, snoring at a hundred decibels, stuff like that.

Occasionally, I exceed expectations and coach a team to the flag, provide a philosophical gem, take a kid snorkelling for the first time.

Not so bad I guess.

Tomorrow is Father's day, I'm going fishing with my son (we'll catch fish, he is an amazing fisherman), then it's mini golf with my daughter (I won't let her win, tough love)

There will be laughter, hugs and high fives.
**** I'll be over achieving and giving myself the shits.

James Lemon

Hello Asher

What I don't understand is why someone would seek the advice of a professional and not follow their advice.I am surprised that your wife did not divorce you in the process.No one person can be a success all by themselves. Adversity is a great teacher but regardless of whether or not you have achieved anything that matters to anyone but you. The real most important question to ask yourself.. is do you feel fulfilled?

Best,regards
James

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher

What I don't understand is why someone would seek the advice of a professional and not follow their advice.
Even experts live in "bubbles",LOL!

Trouble is that a Bentley expert will try to tell you that a BMW would not be the bright car for you but we should buy the right yellow Bentley sports car and we'd be set for life!

Asher

James Lemon

Even experts live in "bubbles",LOL!

Trouble is that a Bentley expert will try to tell you that a BMW would not be the right car for you but we should buy the bright yellow Bentley sports car and we'd be set for life!

Asher

Experts are a dime a dozen but capable people are hard to find!

Asher Kelman

Experts are a dime a dozen but capable people are hard to find!

Jim,

The best lessons can be sometimes learned form children. Read again the stoicism and focus on purpose of the tiny tots knowing they have to pass the gauntlet of hateful women just to get to their school.

We can all learn from that and not be swayed from setting and getting to that next goal.

Asher