• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Three (different) pictures

Mike Shimwell

I'm slowly getting back to a place where I can make some pictures again and hope to become more active following Asher's kind invitation.

For now, here are three recent pictures to share

Mike

L9992320.jpg

_1000234.jpg

L9992341.jpg

Michael Nagel

Mike,

What would be the access privileges I need to see these pictures?
There is no way for me to see these, logged in or not...

Best regards,
Michael

Mike Shimwell

Mike,

What would be the access privileges I need to see these pictures?
There is no way for me to see these, logged in or not...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael

I'm not sure. It shows them to me either in the thread or if I click and open in a new window, once I'm logged in. Could you try clicking the link and see if that helps (logged in)

Cheers

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm slowly getting back to a place where I can make some pictures again and hope to become more active following Asher's kind invitation.

Mike,

Thanks for sharing this special picture.

U25074I1415578628.SEQ.0_Mike_Shimwell_image.jpg

I appreciate so much your ability to deal with order as a structured background for the stochastic variation of paths that these children will take.

What appears as merely attractive and a "good idea" is actually engaging on so many levels. Our societies build social, material, technical and spiritual platforms on which we can choose to operate. This picture is endowed with increasing levels of riches as I consider the future of children, these and everyone else's!

Asher

Asher Kelman

U25074I1415577229.SEQ.0.jpg

Mike,

It's not often that we see pictures of healthy folk, "with everything working in their favor", but while they're asleep. More often, we're taking advantage of the opportunity that presents itself when we happen on some homeless or drunk person, "out of it", lying on the sidewalk, (pavement in U.K.), and we've our pocket cameras ready for such "gifts of chance".

You've an exceptionally generous lady there! I'd have to line up a ton of calming rewards to get my wife to allow me back into the house after taking a picture of her asleep!

Still, it's very real and has a lot of love and trust there. I appreciate you sharing and commend her great attitude!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Thank you Michael, Maggie and Asher for your kind words. Here is another picture from the same period of time. After a walk we'd stopped for a quick drink in a pub on the way home.

Mike

U25074I1416006094.SEQ.0.jpg

Antonio Correia

Mike, thank you for showing us this intimate moment of your life's family. It is the best image in the set in spite of all being excellent !
This may be a trivial / ordinary question but what lens were you using ?

Thank you ! :)

Mike Shimwell

Mike, thank you for showing us this intimate moment of your life's family. It is the best image in the set in spite of all being excellent !

Hi Antonio, lens was a Zeiss ZM Planar 50 f2. Body Leica Monochrom.

Thanks, it is easy for me to love the picture, but it is good to know that it also touches other peoplr as well

Mike

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

An especial thanks for you isolating the picture for special attention. I am now seeing it, far beyond the sharing of personal life, to the realm of photographic work - that's what you have awakened in me. I'm fascinated that I didn't appreciate the picture beyond the very personal context of "Disclosing intimate views of one's own family". Now, as a photograph, there's so much more.

Mike Shimwell: Untitled

Mother and Child

I now appreciate what was invisible to me before: the focus on the girl's hands and the soft periphery written so gently, to surround the two in a dreamlike place!

Bravo, Mike, this is superb and technically masterful too!

Thanks again, antonio for taking me from our uncomfortable issues of "privacy" to an experience of a great photograph that extends beyond one family, to touch us all.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Of course I do not intend to hijack your thread Mike but I came home from US recently and there I met one of my friends' son who owned a couple of bodies, adapters and a large amount of lenses from many brands.

He has an adaptor Panasonic - Leica and he took a picture of me in Donner Lake in a bright and sunny day as usual in CA. I love that picture because it has a superb detail and gorgeous I don't know what that attracts me. OK it is a portrait in bright daylight but ... well I do like it.
It is not the sharpness that attracts me but rather the tones, the subtlety ... oh I can't explain !
Will I have the courage to buy a Leica lens, at least ?

I am telling you this just because I noticed how all the tones are in your image.
The pillow at the far end is not burned and the detail in the shadow areas of the lady's face is clearly visible.
What a picture ! The composition is also pretty good.

Asher Kelman

Of course I do not intend to hijack your thread Mike but I came home from US recently and there I met one of my friends' son who owned a couple of bodies, adapters and a large amount of lenses from many brands.

………….

Antonio,

These are great thoughts and worth a new thread, here to discuss further the advantages, (..and even limitations..), of the Leica monochrome system.

:)

Asher