• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A need to shoot outdoor…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi folks
After a long day at office desk, a day full of sun and warm enough, I felt to urgently got outside and take some shots at sunset.
Nothing particular, and I wished to share some of these shots from the parking lot of my office, all from the same place, too lazy to move the tripod…

A snappy postal card of Bordeaux at sunset:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ11 - 15s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus

_45R7700_C1-4.jpg

the scratch on the left part of the sky is the plane coming from Lyon (arrival 20:25)

Undustry in the harbor's yard:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ6.3 - 0.6 s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus

_45R7684_C1-4.jpg

nicolas claris

Some reflection on the river banks mud:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ6.3 - 3.2 s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus
Skylight:

_45R7682_C1-4.jpg

Incandescent light from docks:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ5 - 5 s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus

_45R7687_C1-4.jpg

Incandescent light from docks:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ10 - 30 s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus

_45R7697_C1-4.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Hi Nic

You bring a whole new meaning to one camera one lens:)

I really like the mud pictures - they actually remind me of a sculpture project that I have waiting to be started... the wind and water cut flows of the mud create wonderful shapes and areas of light and shadow through the day. Your capture at eventide, with the rich colours is great.

Mike

nicolas claris

Thanks for the kind words Mike always appreciated!
Yes it is always mazing to shoot with one lens only, it forces you to look differently around you…
When I go travelling for pleasure (holydays) I always bring one lens only, usually a very wide angle such as the Canon 14mm… (500 mm is far to heavy and discreteless for touring!)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Some reflection on the river banks mud:
1Ds3 - 500mm - 100 IS0 - ƒ6.3 - 3.2 s mirror lock-up - tripod - manual focus
Skylight:

_45R7682_C1-4.jpg

Nicolas,

The last lens in your collection I'd have thought you'd choose would be a 500 mm as you have used here. But this is the payoff. I like the dark carved masses in the water and coastal edge.

This series is a lot of fun and taken as a group I get the feeling of you walking around in the fresh air, relaxed, just enjoying, stopping here and there, setting up your tripod, a long exposure ?AV?) and with no work deadline or plane you have to rush to catch.

I'm delighted to see these pictures! Bravo!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
[/QUOTE]
_45R7684_C1-4.jpg

You really did need the big weapon to be able to get the detail here. This is worth that effort! The shape is unusual. What are the French making here? The picture with the crane is something I'd like to see much more of. This is one impressive structure! Explain how it works? If you have time, and the weather is not too cold, could you take enough coverage to get the entire crane too?

Asher

nicolas claris

Hi Asher
thanks for the good words! once again…

I'll answer you later about the crane shot and what they are doing, got to dig a good dictionnary! ; -)

could you take enough coverage to get the entire crane too?
Of course yes, but I liked the overall geometric of the shot… but I also discovered another place to shoot the same subject with a different angle, I'll certainly post here later, when shot.

For the mud, shots, long lens is needed, noway for me to wlak in there to get closer!

What amazed me here is that ALL shots of this thread have been shot with the same lens (Mike did point that already) but also all from the same place, not moving the tripod of an inch…
Un endroit royal!

nicolas claris

_45R7684_C1-4.jpg

You really did need the big weapon to be able to get the detail here. This is worth that effort! The shape is unusual. What are the French making here?

As promised…
They are refitting one of the dry docks gate. This is a huge, very huge piece of a door!
It has been, cleaned, sandblasted, now I guess they replace some big steel plates and will go for another 20 years of service.
A dry dock is a kind of a (very) big pool where cargo ships do come in, when it's full of water, then the door/gate is closed and one empty the pond of its water… the boat is ready for repairs.
When the job is done, the dry dock is filled with water, the door/gate opens and the boat is free again…

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nicolas,

I have really enjoyed looking at these and I am looking forward to the time when we can shoot together in Bordeaux. Hopefully sometime soon :).

Cheers,

nicolas claris

This series is a lot of fun and taken as a group I get the feeling of you walking around in the fresh air, relaxed, just enjoying, stopping here and there, setting up your tripod, a long exposure ?AV?) and with no work deadline or plane you have to rush to catch. )

So true!
ƒ priority, exposure compensation minus 1/3 to 3/3…

Cem_Usakligil

How it looked like wider....

...If you have time, and the weather is not too cold, could you take enough coverage to get the entire crane too?

...Of course yes, but I liked the overall geometric of the shot… but I also discovered another place to shoot the same subject with a different angle, I'll certainly post here later, when shot.
While Nicolas may or may not come back to this request of Asher's, I am taking the liberty of showing how it looked like a bit wider, LOL.

bordeauxharbour1.jpg

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Great shot Cem!
I wonder who did drive you there ; -)

And well done, now Asher's wish is fullfit with the complete crane!
And even two if you watch the bg…

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Bordeaux

Oh Bordeaux is a marvelous place to have a camera and shoot. So much beauty there in the everyday things. When I was there a few years ago, we headed straight for St. Emilion and only saw the center of town briefly on the way out to the Chateaux and wine caves. One day I want to return.

And to have a local host for touring is most special - creates a long term friendships for certain.

Rachel Foster

It's the second image that captures my fancy. Obviously, the juxtaposition of curves with linearity is the key to this one. However, it wouldn't work without the colors (and intensities) or the knife-edged crispness.

While the posted crop works, the wider shot..nononononnonoonno!

My .02 Euros.

nicolas claris

Hi Mike and Rachel
I don't get what you mean, Mike can you develop ; -)

Please note that all pictures shown here ARE full frame, no crops. None.

nicolas claris

Some weeks later…

As I was working on computer this morning, some horn warned me thru my office window, just the time to grab the cam and mount the 70-200 IS and 1.4 TC (and unfortunately camera set to jpeg only…)

_45R9504_C1-4.jpg

_45R9506_C1-4.jpg

_45R9511_C1-4.jpg

_45R9514_C1-4.jpg

… the door is "sailing" back to its previous place for some tenth of years of good service…